My 6 month old doe

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craneman54

Reaction score
My 6 month old doe was bred today 3 times in about 3 hours. Buck grunted and fell off all three times. :D I hope it takes so I can have some baby bunnies before too long.

When taking the Doe out his cage the last time,I noticed some crusty looking stuff in the lower section of her ears. I dripped mineral oil in her ears. Should I give her a shot of ivermectin ? I have insulin syringes and needles. If I need to use the ivermectin how much should I give? The does weights about 4 maybe 5 pounds.
I didn't see any mites.

I'm not sure of the exact dosage, but most breeders I know use injectable ivermectin (for cattle and swine) but give the dose by mouth. Another alternative would be to just place a droplet in each ear.

Personally I would just put another dose of mineral oil in the ears in another week or so. The usual recommendation is to do it weekly for three weeks to get any hatching eggs- although it is a mystery to me how the eggs could survive the treatment. ;)

MamaSheepdog":bz4524n0 said:
I'm not sure of the exact dosage, but most breeders I know use injectable ivermectin (for cattle and swine) but give the dose by mouth. Another alternative would be to just place a droplet in each ear.

Personally I would just put another dose of mineral oil in the ears in another week or so. The usual recommendation is to do it weekly for three weeks to get any hatching eggs- although it is a mystery to me how the eggs could survive the treatment. ;)

OK I will stay with the mineral oil. I have the ivermectin for cows and pigs so if I see a need for it I will use it. I give it to my dogs orally to prevent heart worms. It also gets rid of fleas and tics.

I think the mineral oil smothers the adults so the eggs would have to hatch to get smothered also as mineral oil is non-toxic to most things I believe.

Yes, the oil smothers the adults- but bird and reptile eggs are somewhat porous to allow air in, and I would think the same would be true of insect eggs, so I would think that the embryos would suffocate. :?

MamaSheepdog":266i976b said:
Yes, the oil smothers the adults- but bird and reptile eggs are somewhat porous to allow air in, and I would think the same would be true of insect eggs, so I would think that the embryos would suffocate. :?

I have no idea if that would be the case. I will reapply over the next few weeks just to make sure. Come to think of it I will have to check all the other rabbits as well. I only have 5 so it's not a big deal to check them all.

Back