Mucoid Enteritis 3-4 week old kit?! First litter

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbtexas

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with Mucoid Enteritis? I have 1 kit (runt) who will turn 4 w/o tomorrow who's be showing signs the last few days: soft stools sticking to bottom, yellow/clear smelly musuc. He's active, eating well, and drinking. I thought It might be because he's been eating pellets (16%) and his system isn't ready for it. Him and his sibling (who is fine; pooping normal) are now on hay and oats only and I mixed some electrolyte mix in their water to help. Mom is getting pellets but the kits can't reach them since she has a shelf.

I have dry-tail for my breeder but I've heard many don't think it's safe to use in rabbits..

Sounds like you're doing things right.

I recently had a kit I had bought exhibit the same symptoms, after doing the same as you have already done (I also offered plantain weed and probiotics) and things not clearing up I used Neomycin Sulfate (dri tail). The 10 week kit responded well to it and was having normal poop about two days after starting treatment. I didn't mix it in her water but fed it directly to her with a syringe twice a day for 7 days. I continued with the probiotics about a week after as well.

But my kit was quite a bit older and the med was my last resort - I don't know if I'd be willing to try it on a bitty bunny like yours

As Wheels mentioned, probiotics are helpful, as are certain weeds. Plantain, Shepherds Purse, strawberry leaves, and raspberry or blackberry leaves and/or canes may help.

I would also give them a bedded shelter so they can get off of the wire. I use plastic cat litter jugs, but a cardboard box will do as well.

I hope the little guy feels better soon! :clover:

Latest posts

Back