MSD's BarnCats Extraordinaire: First Litters of the Season

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaSheepdog

Reaction score
Popstar, Queen of our Moggies, and the matriarch of the clan, had the first litter. I didn't happen to snap a photo of her this morning, but here she is with last year's litter for comparison to our current kitty crop:

107.JPG

This year's kitty-kitties:

IMG_9156.JPG

This male Manx is already spoken for:

IMG_9157.JPG

"It's cold out here!!!"

IMG_9161.JPG

This is Butterscotch, she is the calico from Popstar's litter pictured above:

IMG_9167.JPG

And the litter she was hiding in the above photo:

IMG_9170.JPG

Butterscotch is one of those kitties that improves with "kindling" (well, "Queening" actually is the term for cats!)... she was very aloof before, but now just purrs and purrs with pride and contentment, and loves being "loved on". It really is true that breeding improves the temperament of some animals- despite what the "Spay and Neuter Everything Coalition" would have people believe. ;)

Thank you all! I am sure Marilla is pleased that she can admire the kittens from a distance. Unless raised in a colony, it is a rare kitty indeed that enjoys meeting new feline friends! :lol: Calico cats have always been a favorite of mine too Maggie! Question- is Marilla named for the Marilla in Anne of Green Gables? She looks to be "no nonsense", just as the character in the book is!

Popstar always has the nicest litters and cares for them so well. She has two flame point boys in this one. Butterscotch did well with a Siamese and a calico. I've been working with these barn cats for about ten years now trying to get nice colors and good instincts, and it seems to be really paying off. I had to back off of the Manx bloodlines somewhat due to colon issues, which was a pity. We still get the occasional Manx, and have not had the hindgut problem in recent years.

I do love my herd of kitties! :D

Yes, indeed, Marilla is named for the Anne of Green Gables character. Suits her, doesn't it? :D The people who had her for her first year called her Tulip. :roll: They surrendered her to the local humane society on a Thursday (allergies) and we arrived looking for a moggie on Friday... so she was very fortunate. One glance was enough to know that she was The One. She didn't answer to Tulip, so we had no compunction about giving her her true name.

Latest posts

Back