Ms Sport - babies on floor

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nana.chickies

Reaction score
:hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :shock: :shock: My small Holland Lop mama just had a litter of 6 kits. I had a hole about 2" x 2" in the cage by the door. I found 3 kits on the floor, I still don't know how they got there. Can rabbits pick up newborns and do this? All six seem to be doing fine on day 2.

newborns can crawl around and if there is a hole that they are small enough to go through then they will. I had that problem and covered the hole asap. this way when they open their eyes and really start moving they will not go through again.

Rabbits cannot pick up their babies without harming them. Their mouth and teeth just aren't shaped for it.

Newborn kits looking for somewhere warm can crawl pretty far. <br /><br /> -- Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:12 pm -- <br /><br /> are the babies being kept in a secure nestbox?

Congrats on the kits.

I would make sure the hole is fixed- if kits can get out, predators can get in.

All babies are thriving we are on day 4. Yeah! :D

-- Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:22 pm --

I found the hole. Yeah!! Ms Sport's babies seem to be thriving. She seems to be a good momma. I had to take the last kit from Ms Chocolate. She would not have anything to do with her kits. Out of 5 only 1 survived. That kit was put in with Ms Sport and she accepted it with no problem, so she is taking care of 7 kits with no problems. <br /><br /> -- Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:23 pm -- <br /><br /> Thank you for all of your responses. They were very helpful.

We had five of six babies from a litter all managed to crawl out of the cage. Two of them did this twice and crawled several feet away before re were able to find them, return them to the best and plug the hole. Amazing.

Beside the hole in the cage wire its self, do you have baby saver wire on the cage also? They can fall out of a 1" x 2" spacing as well. I know it is taken for granted that all folks have their does in cages with baby saver wire (1/2" x 1" x 3 to 4"h) but just thought I would ask.

My lionhead doe kindled outside her nest box on one litter, and the kits got out through the 1" x 1" wire that the cage was made of. So.... yeah, newborns can escape through 1x1 wiring if they're a small breed.

I managed to get pic's of some of the rabbits I inherited. I posted them in the gallery.
Ms Sport is very protective of her kits. I will be taking pic's of her kits soon. They are growing like weeds.

Latest posts

Back