Mouth Ulcers?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cspr

Reaction score
I have a rabbit who lost her cage mate, her daughter. I thought she might be depressed, as she perked up and started to finally eat after I introduced her to a pair of kits--she's very maternal--but she was still only eating wheat, hay, or papaya, none of her usual pellets. I gave her a more in detail checkup today, a few hours from once I noticed she wasn't eating much, and noticed she had mouth ulcers? Look like zits, they're white, on either side of her front teeth. I could take her to the vet, but if there's anything I can do at home, that'd be good. Any idea what would cause that? Tooth infection, maybe? Or abscesses? Thanks in advance for any help! I've lost two rabbits since May and I'd really like to get through this one okay.

Usually a tooth infection is a big single abcess under the tooth and isn't obvious when looking inside the mouth.

What's the quality of the hay like? Sometimes late cut grass hay not weed free or planted with certain grasses can grow spikey seed heads. The tips of the seed heads jam in to the gums and cause mouth sores from the tiny splinters. It happens a lot in horses and a bit less often in goats. The south tends to use more grass and tougher grass than the north so it's more common there.

Does she bar chew? She could cause little sores around her front teeth doing that.

It's not the best hay, no. We get it at TSC, mostly so they don't get cold. If it is the hay, is there anything I should do or--let it work itself out? o_O Of course, that would make good sense. She doesn't chew on the bars, but she does to town on wooden chews. A splinter or two, or just her chewing too much because she's bored without a cage mate, would be a possibility, I assume.

And yes, I know rabbit mouths usually have pinkish skin around their bottom front teeth, just like that, but the skin is white and sort of sickly, also way more swollen than usual, which caught my eye. It's bizarre. Plus, she's not eating, which worries me. She only eats soft foods, won't eat her hard pellets.

I know rabbits can go downhill fast if they don't eat. Should I just get her some Pedialite (sp?) or something, or just continue to feed her soft food? Basically all she's been eating is wheat grass and dried papaya all day. She didn't eat her foot yesterday, so that's about 24 hours without pellets. Should I make her some oatmeal or something?

Back