mottled sables

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
Whenever I put my sables on our hay they turn mottled with tan and chocolate areas. The buck I just got has turned chocolate across his back and tan down his sides and he has a show this month. I put them back to mostly pellets and they are slowly going back to normal color. It was interesting but not showable. Any ideas why? We are using 20% protein clover/alfalfa, organic, soil treated with trace minerals twice a year.

Not exactly. They have spots. Little circles of color all over. Not the swirls and strips of a molt except the buck. He may be molting. The does we've had for months aren't molting. They molted and it grew in mottled and has stayed that way for 4-6months until I started feeding them mostly pellets again.

Sounds like there is something "wrong" with the hay ... too much, too little, etc. Can you try them on a good quality horse grass hay to see if the condition returns?

Ok this is frustrating. I love this breed but another month has gone by of mottled sables. They can't be shown. We've missed the entire beginning of the show season. Some look in perpetual molt and some are perfectly smooth fur just with circles and I can't figure out why.

Back