Mosquitos everywhere

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ninabl

Reaction score
The area I live in has Mosquitos really bad. I noticed some on the rabbits today and was wondering if there was anything I could do to keep them off the rabbits. I know there landing on the rabbits but unsure if they are actually biting Them.

You know... I'm not sure if they are really biting them either. With such thick fur, I don't think it is an easy task. I don't know for sure though. We just smoke out the yard with this hand held machine that gets rid of all the mosquitos for a good while when they are bad.

What kind of machine is it? There is 2 retention ponds right by the house so I think there breeding in there. I have Ben looking to move and this might be the final straw. I have to spray down my kid just to go out to work in the garden. The spray didn't do any good today and I had to go back in. Can't even enjoy the nice weather.

We used to live by a retention pond. When it looked like it was going to have water in it for a while, we went to a real pond and caught about 5 fish (small bream), and put them in the retention pond. They took care of the mosquitoes until the retention pond dried out again.

We use a 1 1/2 acre bug zapper for mosquitoes. They will not be attracted to a less powerful one. We aren't rid of the mosquitoes, but this yard holds water. We have a lot less than we did, though.

I would think they would bother the ears a lot, since there's little fur there.
The obvious should always be done, dump ALL standing water that is not in constant use. So check every little tire, bowl, weird bent metal scrap that could hold water.
A fan may help with blowing them away for some relief.
I've heard there are plants you can install that help keep them away, no idea what they are.

Ninabl":g8q4kqv4 said:
What kind of machine is it? There is 2 retention ponds right by the house so I think there breeding in there. I have Ben looking to move and this might be the final straw. I have to spray down my kid just to go out to work in the garden. The spray didn't do any good today and I had to go back in. Can't even enjoy the nice weather.

Peach is probably referring to a fogger. The one we have runs off a propane bottle that runs a lantern/camp stove. It has a reservoir that holds the liquid spray then runs in through coils that heat it and turns it into a "fog". We use it right at dark when the mosquitos are starting to become active.

A fan should help keep mosquitoes off the rabbits. Install a bat house near the retention ponds, as well. Goldfish in the retention ponds will eat the mosquito larva and eggs, too.

Back