Morning or evening sun?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nubster

Reaction score
I am getting ready to build my first rabbit hutch. The place I want to place it is next to the shed in my yard. I live in town on a small lot so my options are limited. If I place it on the side, which I would prefer, the rabbits will get morning sun until around 11am, then shade the rest of the day. If I place them against the back of the shed, they'll get late afternoon shade until the sun goes down. Does it matter? I think that morning sun to warm them in the morning but afternoon/evening shade to keep them cooler in the summer heat. At the same time, in the winter they will be on the colder side of the shed, so it's going to be a trade off.

If where the cage is going to be placed is going to be the permanent place, I would definitely place it where the morning sun is. If you had the option to move it in the winter, that would be ideal, but if not, no worries. Rabbits deal with cold weather very well, but not well at all with very hot weather and could kill them if exposed to direct sunlight and not having a place to get away from the heat. All in all, I'd say putting it where the morning sun is your best bet. On a very hot day, it never hurts to throw a 20 ounce bottle with water frozen in it in the cage for the rabbits to lay against and cool off.

does the late afternoon shade location also give them midday to later afternoon sun? if so, go for morning sun and rest of the day shade. BUT if the later afternoon shade also means that the sun hits them later in the day but for not as long...

Do you understand what I mean? Sun is nice, but sun is NOT necessary. I'd opt for where you get the most shade.

Well, I'd have to time it but I think that at the rear of the shed, which is option two, they will get less sunlight into the front of the hutch but the side of the hutch will be in contact with direct sun from around noon-1pm until sunset. So I think that the sun will turn the hutch into an oven so to speak. One the side, they will get more direct sun into the front of the hutch but it will be in the morning and cooler part of the day, then in shade from around 11am and for the rest of the day.

Avoid noon to sunset direct sunlight if you can. You could plant vines (make sure they are safe for rabbits) on the sunny side to help keep things cool. Greenery is very cooling and still allows good air circulation.

MaggieJ":3gvtszfw said:
Avoid noon to sunset direct sunlight if you can. You could plant vines (make sure they are safe for rabbits) on the sunny side to help keep things cool. Greenery is very cooling and still allows good air circulation.

Good tip. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back