Morels

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fid

Reaction score
Finally, I found the first morels of the year. We have almost four hundred acres, so choosing a spot to start looking is difficult. I've been skunked all week, and I only found two today, but it's a start. Just two, but they are nice big white ones. Anyone else have any luck?

It sounds like you need a "truffle hound"! I bet a lot of dogs could be trained to sniff morels out, and save you a lot of fruitless (shroomless?) searching!

I got about 1/2 lb last month. They come up each spring right in my mother's back yard in the center of town of all places. Kind of funny since you normally have to hike miles to find them.

Would love to try them deep fried in a batter.

I love morels! But around here they go for $30 for half a pound so unless we find some ourselves... no morels for us :(

I've never heard of them either, but for that price, I see why. I love 'shrooms.

They pretty much can't be cultivated, and only fruit for a short period of time, hence the high prices. Just happened to glance at the dried mushrooms sold at the grocery store here last night. 1/2 ounce of dried morels costs ten bucks. I'd rather hunt my own. But I realize I am in a better position than most; we have four hundred acres, so there is zero competition with other hunters like there would be on public land.

Fid":3qafzrvi said:
We have almost four hundred acres, so choosing a spot to start looking is difficult.

You poor thing... what a terrible burden to bear! <SIGH!> Try to look on it in a good light- at least you are getting some exercise... :roll:

Latest posts

Back