More Twisted Humor

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitDad

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Throughout my life I've taken my self-appointed role as class clown very seriously.
I'm older than most here combined so the majority won't completely understand some of my dated stories.
Back in the 1950s/60s every product available had a slogan and more often than not a short song to go with it.
Pretty sure this happened in the 60s... there was a commercial on tv for a product named Geritol. Some sort of snake oil / iron suppliment.
At the end of each advertisement, they'd recite the slogan... "Take Geritol and wake up feeling yourself."
Of course me being me, I instantly took that out of context & started to giggle.
My poor mother was dumb enough to ask what was so funny. I tried brushing her off but that just aggravated her & she demanded to know.
So I said... "You know... Take Geritol and wake up... feeling yourself!"
Everyone other than my mom instantly got it, several comments of I'm sick or I need therapy etc.
Poor Mom still insisted I catch her up on the joke. So... I stood up, recited the slogan again while at the perfect time started "feeling myself."
So... no tv for me for a week. My siblings thought that was even funnier.
A week later, I return to happily watch tv. I'm only there for a couple minutes and they do an Ivory Dish Soap commercial.
I tried my best not to laugh but couldn't hold it in. Rather than stick around for a repeat performance of the previous week, I sprinted out of the room.
How is it my fault that I'm the only one with a sense of humor?

I don't remember the Ivory dish soap commercial. Neither does DH, who is 10 yrs older. Tried to find the "feeling yourself" one. We saw Betty White, anyhow. Got lynx?
All of the Geritol commercials were basically the same.
The guy saying... "This is my wife, I think I'll keep her. She takes very good care of herself by taking Geritol everyday."
Then ended with the slogan.
The ivory dish soap one was the mother setting the table. She picks up a plate, looks at it and says... "I can see myself."
The camera switches to the daughter who is entering the room. We are supposed to assume that she's looking at the table set up but without switching camera angles to the table or mother she says... "Wow Mom, what a spread!"
Again, I suspect we were supposed to assume she was talking about the table, but we will never know.

Kinda funny / kinda not... in the early 1960s our family was the first in our area to get a color TV. Neighbors actually came over just to see it.
The main issue was that most TV shows were still broadcast in black & white.
Commercials however were mostly color so we actually paid attention to them. Yeah, they were bad even back then.
I left home soon after so missed out on it for the most part.
The first TV commercial I saw when I returned from Vietnam (1971) was Coca Cola. A group singing on a hilltop in Italy.
Pretty catchy tune... "I'd like to teach the world to sing..."
Impressive colors as well. One of the first things I noticed was everyone was dressed differently from each other. In a wide variety of colors! No more O.D. green!

Anyone here remember the crying indian?
Turns out "Iron Eyes Cody" the super famous Native American actor, was actually 100% Italian!
I read that on the Internet so it must be true.
I do remember that... and the, um, deception. At any rate, if I was ever disposed to be a litterbug, Iron Eyes taught me better (and my folks, of course).

I do remember that... and the, um, deception. At any rate, if I was ever disposed to be a litterbug, Iron Eyes taught me better (and my folks, of course).
One of the few things I really care about is caring for our land.
My teen years consisted of lots of "crusin'".
We lived almost 30 miles from "town" and the prime crusing places were beyond that.
Some dumbass kid in my backseat threw his trash out the window. I stopped & told him to go back & get it.
He was stupid enough to give me attitude over it, so when he finally got out, I drove off.
It didn't take long for the story to spread all over school. Turn out that since most of the kids were hippies, they didn't go for that either... so it backfired on him and I ended up a hero / celebrity of sorts.
Mr. Iron Eyes didn't get any credit for that one. I think I was born thinking that way.

Back