More Angoras! (3 pics) (updated)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Whitey did it again (lovely rabbit that she is! :D ) Presented us with 8? kits (haven't pulled them out yet to actually count everyone). All white, might be a few black himmies hiding in there, and so far...fat. There are a few that have a crusted "I got wet a couple days ago" look, so I'm thinking they were pee'd on by one of the 3month olds. (there are 2 in the pen with Whitey from her last litter). I'll have to remove them, I suppose. Need to put up a new "for sale" advertisement.

A few days ago, while I was off on my trip, Mike informed me of the event. I'd asked him put the nestbox in with Whitey in case I didn't get back in time (which I didn't). She kindled all on her own again..no muss no fuss. Pulled a ton of fur again (although not as much as last time) and the kits are just all warm and snuggly, squiggly and POPPLEY! :multibounce:

Proud Momma :D
mom.jpg

nest1.jpg

kit1.jpg

Wow, that is a LOT of fur! :) I am surprised she had any left.... hehehehe
Beautiful rabbit and baby!

UPDATE: There are NINE, and all are healthy and fat-ish. No runts in the bunch that I saw. 2 are VERY tubby, the rest are like a normal kit at 3 days old. The ones that were crusty from pee are doing fine, and Mom has started to kick butt on the two juniors who try to go into the nestbox, so all is well.

update:
so....these guys are AGGRESSIVE when it comes to their tummies. Last night I happened to be out on the porch (where they live) at about 10:00pm doing chores (late, but at least I remembered to do them)

There were 2 of the kits out of the nestbox. It's a DEEP nestbox..but there they were, all squinty eyeed trying to find Mom and the milk. Everyone else in the nestbox was hungy..long and lean..hadn't been fed yet. All squirmy and hungry. I popped the 2 back into the box, and they immediately popped right back out again..and brought a friend. :roll:

this went on for a few minutes as I watered and fed. Whitey was just completely ignoring them. "go away kid. Ya bother me". I figured that they couldn't get back in on their own if mom DID happen to go in to feed, so I put a cardboard "wall" at the end. Whitey can go in over the side, I thought.

Well..so much for THAT idea. A couple of moments after putting up the wall, one of them climbed up to it and started pushing..then stood there in the nestbox, right up against the wall..screaming! ACK! I grabbed Whitey (she can eat later) and threw her in on top of the kits. She got the idea and just hovered over them until the sucking ceased...

yea gods. this crew is going to be a handful.

LOL, Ann... they sound like piranhas! :eek:

Another couple of days and poor Whitey will be run down by the mob and sucked dry. I hope she has somewhere to get away from the little monsters.

(Alice and Jane Doe spend a lot of time on top of the nest tunnels these days. The kits seem to nurse indiscriminately from all three does, passing easily thorough the barrier between the two floor pens. Our still-nameless browny-black doe is more tolerant or perhaps is afraid of heights. :roll: )

:D Sounds like a great solution :) sort of a "creep feeder" :lol:

that first colony multi-litter we had (2 of 3 does kindled) the kits came out of the nestbox at about 10 days and were all over the place. A couple of them decided that Auntie Vienna (the virgin doe) was "mom" and just tried and TRIED to find a teat. She would tolerate them only so long and then just FLEE to the top of the rubbermade tub.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, this is so :cool:. Can't wait 'til we're sharing pics. Oh, that's putting cart before the horse. We need to acquire some Giant Angoras first.

Latest posts

Back