Molly kindled today...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CochinBrahmaLover

Reaction score
....and she has a 3 week old kit still with her.

He was snuggled with the new babies. He's the crippled one.
What do I do? Take away The older kit? Or leave him with the kits? There's 4. She did a good job this time, they all ended up in the nest at least. I don't think the older kit would hurt them, but I still don't want any accidents. Lol, he actually seemed to like them a lot.

Should I be concerned if she'll nurse both the current kit and the new litter?

He might hog all the new milk, shorting his siblings. You could wean him at this age, I've seen threads where people have done that. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what the more experienced folk say...

I've never had this problem, but I would likely separate the older kit and take it to the doe once a day for feeding. I would have hay, pellets and oats for it to eat as well.

The kit she has must be at least 4 weeks old since the earliest she could have been bred is when it was born and gestation is at least 28 days, more often 30 or more.

I would take him out. In a colony setting it is typical for does to breed back the day of kindling and wean their kits at three weeks. Be sure to provide a bedded area for him so he can keep warm.

I would provide him with the supplemental feeds Marinea mentioned, but I personally would not allow him to nurse anymore... the new kits need all the milk they can get.

MamaSheepdog":3epf5vkr said:
The kit she has must be at least 4 weeks old since the earliest she could have been bred is when it was born and gestation is at least 28 days, more often 30 or more.

I would take him out. In a colony setting it is typical for does to breed back the day of kindling and wean their kits at three weeks. Be sure to provide a bedded area for him so he can keep warm.

I would provide him with the supplemental feeds Marinea mentioned, but I personally would not allow him to nurse anymore... the new kits need all the milk they can get.

But he's not. He was born Jan 9th. So he's only 3 weeks. That's why this is just so surprising, he isn't 4 weeks old.

Hmm, ok. That seems to be the general consensus.

Thank you all.

Back