missing fur on cheek

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellistattoo

Reaction score
Sorry about the pics, they were took on the wife's phone. My buck has a spot of fur missing under his right eye on the cheek about the size of a dime. There's no redness or sign of agitation, just a smooth patch of no fur. The only thing I can think of is maybe he's rubbing it off on the Fine-X feeder wire clips that attach to the cage wire. It did dip down below freezing the other night for a few hours but I seriously doubt that he got stuck on his water nipple. What do ya'll think?

Attachments

• IMG_20111207_115721.jpg
    IMG_20111207_115721.jpg
    584.7 KB · Views: 2,547
  • IMG_20111207_115629.jpg
    IMG_20111207_115629.jpg
    661.9 KB · Views: 2,547
Could it be an abscess? They can cause hair loss even before they burst.

I don't know. I checked it this morning and the buck let me feel around it with no wincing or shivering so I don't think it's hurting him and there's no redness. When I get home I'll look closer and take better pics. Are there tell-tale signs with the start of an absess?

Can anything get at him? When I first got Rudy my terrier got out into the garage and gave him a swipe and pulled out just one patch of hair with the root attached, right above his nose. He healed over in about 6 weeks and you can no longer tell.

But now you know why we call him Rudy!

Miss M- I remember reading it, I'm glad that it healed up! When I was searching, your post was the only one I saw that came close to our situation.

sommrluv-gotta love them terrors..uh, I mean terriers. :) LOL The only other animal that the buck can come in contact with is our 4 month old doe and that's through the cage. You think maybe she's the culprit?

ellistattoo":1j1veiyw said:
I don't know. I checked it this morning and the buck let me feel around it with no wincing or shivering so I don't think it's hurting him and there's no redness. When I get home I'll look closer and take better pics. Are there tell-tale signs with the start of an absess?

Generalized swelling, followed by heat/redness... not listless exactly, but slightly off.

The hair loss happens later, when there is a lot of heat with no rupture. If that is an abscess I'd guess an infected molar to be the culprit, or some other issue originating in the mouth. It would explain why you hadn't noticed any swelling before the hair loss occurred.

I wonder if they've published "Oral Surgery for Dummies" yet?

sommrluv":1j1veiyw said:
Can anything get at him? When I first got Rudy my terrier got out into the garage and gave him a swipe and pulled out just one patch of hair with the root attached, right above his nose. He healed over in about 6 weeks and you can no longer tell.

But now you know why we call him Rudy!

Let's hope that it was "the doe next door"- wonder if he'll be known as "Cheeky" now!

MammaSheepdog-the rabbits'll have to get in line behind me when that one gets published. When I get off work I'll take a good look at him and make sure it's not an abscess. I know there's no redness, heat, or swelling that I could tell. In regards to mannerisms-I'm not sure, I've only been raising them for about 2 months! I THINK his demeanor has remained constant since I purchased him. Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, these bunnies are making my head hurt and I haven't even got to breeding yet! :oops:

I would think he'd have been off his feed if it was a tooth anyway- probably nothing so serious that you need to buy "the book", LOL! I didn't mean to suggest something so scary, either, just brainstorming on if it were an abscess. Had a foxt-tail pierce the lower lid inside the eye orbit, cause an abscess, and exit through the mouth once. Of a dog, not me, lol! Thank the Lord!

I hope it's nothing more serious than a young buck's "shaving mishap".

Thank you for addressing the possibility, now I know what to look for and can better assess that particular ailment down the line.

One thing's for sure, "Cheeky" is getting a new feeder and hole at the end of the row as a precautionary measure!

Here's a new pic I just took, you can sort of see how it starts right under the eye and goes down a good ways. Has anyone had an issue with j-feeders rubbing fur off before? That's the only thing I can think of...

Attachments

• IMG_20111208_125123.jpg
    IMG_20111208_125123.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 2,493
is he molting at all?
Its proly fom rubbing against something..ringworm is a possibility but i thought that would be more on their back then go to somewhere like the head.

MammaSheepdog-I don't know, I'll try to google some rabbit\ringworm pics and see...

Lilfish-I don't know if he's molting or not. This is my first time raising rabbits so I'm not sure. He's almost 2yrs old though and he might very well be molting. I know that he's a little rough when he eats, he'll shake the j-feeder with his head to knock the feed down.

Sometimes heavy discharge from the eye will cause hair loss, but his fur looks clean and dry. Have you noticed any wetness at all? Does the eye itself and the inner lids look normal? Is he squinting?

Re: ringworm- if you can find a black-light, it will glow green. Pretty cool effect, actually! (View in a darkened room.)

MamaSheepdog-appreciate the heads up with the blacklight\ringroom trick, will try it tonight when I get home. Both eyes are dry, bright, and clean, no squinting. :?

if hes molting the hair will jus fall out and it should in other places then jus that spot in a couple days.
And wow MamaSheepDog i didnt kno it glowed in the dark lol i wana see that now lol

Latest posts

Back