Missing Behaving Doe

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfoot_158

Reaction score
Every time I put my hand in cage she growls and tries to bite me. The only thing I have done with her since i got her was move to a new cage and breed her a week ago. Tonight I was trying to put in fresh greens and she came half way out the cage and growled and almost bite my finger.

How can I gain her trust?

Seems like territorial aggression can quickly become a "habit" for some does.

One helpful suggestion someone on here mentioned was to break up her routine. If it becomes habit to try and bite at you when you grab her food bowl or water crock (food seems to be a huge trigger for territorial behavior) then maybe switch to a J feeder and/or water bottle. If she won't take greens nicely, don't give them to her until she calms down. ;) Make her behave for them. If you see her setting up for an attack as soon as you open the cage, leave the door open (if it's elevated where she won't escape), walk away, and try to tend to her after she's in a different "mode."

Does who act really hormonal before breeding sometimes settle down for a bit and them go berserk again as soon as the kits arrive, and for about 10-11 days after.
Just a little heads up, because I was completely unprepared for that little behavioral flip the first time it happened to me. I almost needed stitches.

If you get to the point where she just isn't fun to have around... :dinner: I will accept a little grunting and boxing that doesn't connect.
As soon as a doe makes me bleed, she's become a liability.

Zass":wgh1fxtu said:
As soon as a doe makes me bleed, she's become a liability.
No, she becomes supper. :chef:

Bigfoot, try changing up the treats. Most rabbits like old fashioned oatmeal or black oil sunflower seeds. After your find her favorite like was said above...make her be nice to get it.

This sometimes works,
If her feed amount is reduced until her bowl is completely empty for at least an hour or two before you come to feed her each time, [and she doesn't have other feeds in her cage] she will be just a little hungry, and be more happy to see you, - it will get her into the mid-set of looking forward to you coming by, and putting your hand into her cage.
If these suggestions don't work, then the last two comments above this one suggest you eat her, and I agree with that, -- you don't want kits raised by an aggressive mom-- any stock you save from her litters will be unacceptable for pets, or breedstock -- aggression, is something kits will learn from mom, as well as being passed on genetically. ..

Thanks for the suggestions. I do use J feeder and water bottles. And their pellets are rationed to a cup a day per 10 lbs of weight. It was suggested in a couple vids one being perinia. And they get all the hay they can consume plus fresh greens daily. Is there any thing wrong with this?

Nothing wrong with what your doing Bigfoot. My point was to change it up a little and see if you can find her "favorite" treat. Don't give it every day but often enough see looks forward to your visits...and always pay her a visit.

Thats easy it would be fresh greens is her favorite. If i give them pellets first and put greens in second they always stop eating the pellets until the greens are gone. So I will stop giving it to here daily and see if that helps while keep the rest on the daily greens.

Latest posts

Back