Mint: How Much?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, the kits are weened and I'm feeding mint to help dry up Ginny and prevent mastitis. Not having any growing around here yet, I bought a package at the store and am giving a sprig every morning (a sprig is 4-5 in long with 8-12 leaves). I'm not using the mint for anything else, so can I just feed it all to her? Or is it best to string it out? I'll be breeding her back soon.

I don't think you need the mint for drying the doe off if the kits were weaned after they'd been eating other food for a week or two. I have mint growing with other herbs and add some to the buckets of gathered forage, just being careful not to include mint or sage in the feed for a nursing doe. Since you bought a bunch of mint, I think you can feed it at any rate you want. Just make sure you don't keep it long enough to grow any mold on it.
You seem to have gotten off to a great start with your rabbits--hope you and the family continue to enjoy them as they grow and multiply :)

It's not usually necessary to dry off a doe and I'm not sure the best way to do it. If you have regular spearmint or peppermint though you can feed all you want to a doe that isn't nursing. It's not harmful in any way. Some mints you have to be more careful with but they would be labelled something other than just mint if you were buying some.

Latest posts

Back