Minimally seasoned rabbit recipe

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kusanar314

Reaction score
So, I'm seriously thinking about getting meat rabbits, but, the problem is that neither I or my BF have ever eaten rabbit. So, we have a store bought commercial rabbit in the freezer to try. I don't want to cover it in sauce and mask the flavor, I want to know what the rabbit tastes like (otherwise what is the point?) but I still want it to taste good.

I'm thinking maybe baste with melted butter and just salt and pepper or lemon pepper it before roasting?

What are your suggestions?

Your plan is good. expect it to be like slightly sweeter, slightly chewier, skinless chicken. Because of the "sweeter" taste I like a little more salt than usual. All the ways you would cook skinless chicken breast will work well, and jointing it and dredging in buttermilk and seasoned flour for frying is delightful, so is boning the larger cuts (loin and hind legs) and dicing for stir fry. In fact, I would recommend the following:
  1. remove hind legs, cook as for skinless chicken leg quarters: roast, grill or pan fry, with butter, basting, or breading as you prefer.
  2. remove loin (just below last rib) remove bone and dice and use in a stir fry or however you might use cut up chicken breast
  3. put remaining rabbit bones and forelegs in the crockpot and make stock and soup, again, any way you might use chicken.
This lets you try 3 options from one rabbit.

As are kidneys! For a mild but flavorful option i like dry white wine and rosemary. And what ec2opia said, try different methods with different parts. We also love the front legs and shoulders prepared like chicken wings. And personally the bellyflap is one of my favorite pieces

And pulled bunny bbq with the loin too!

Your plan is good. expect it to be like slightly sweeter, slightly chewier, skinless chicken. Because of the "sweeter" taste I like a little more salt than usual. All the ways you would cook skinless chicken breast will work well, and jointing it and dredging in buttermilk and seasoned flour for frying is delightful, so is boning the larger cuts (loin and hind legs) and dicing for stir fry. In fact, I would recommend the following:
  1. remove hind legs, cook as for skinless chicken leg quarters: roast, grill or pan fry, with butter, basting, or breading as you prefer.
  2. remove loin (just below last rib) remove bone and dice and use in a stir fry or however you might use cut up chicken breast
  3. put remaining rabbit bones and forelegs in the crockpot and make stock and soup, again, any way you might use chicken.
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try that for sure!

Also if you like liver at all, and it is included, fry with salt and pepper--rabbit liver is literally the best liver ever.
We do both like liver, I seriously doubt it's included but I may be surprised with a "giblet bag" when I get the bun thawed and out of the packaging.

As are kidneys! For a mild but flavorful option i like dry white wine and rosemary. And what ec2opia said, try different methods with different parts. We also love the front legs and shoulders prepared like chicken wings. And personally the bellyflap is one of my favorite pieces

And pulled bunny bbq with the loin too!
I doubt I have the kidneys, liver maybe, but probably not kidneys. I've seen where some people use the belly flaps for "bunny bacon" is that how you fix them?

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try that for sure!

We do both like liver, I seriously doubt it's included but I may be surprised with a "giblet bag" when I get the bun thawed and out of the packaging.

I doubt I have the kidneys, liver maybe, but probably not kidneys. I've seen where some people use the belly flaps for "bunny bacon" is that how you fix them?
I typically either cook them with the leg quarters or whole rabbit if im doing that. But sometimes ill bake them alongside livers kidneys and hearts for a nice lunch. With noodles or rice and butter...its how i treat myself for the hard work!

Do you use an instant pot? My first few times i used my ip, it took all the guesswork out of doneness and kept it tender.

I typically either cook them with the leg quarters or whole rabbit if im doing that. But sometimes ill bake them alongside livers kidneys and hearts for a nice lunch. With noodles or rice and butter...its how i treat myself for the hard work!

Do you use an instant pot? My first few times i used my ip, it took all the guesswork out of doneness and kept it tender.
I do not have an instant pot, but my boyfriend is a good cook and I'm pretty decent with foods I know so I'm sure we'll figure it out. Just didn't want to completely hide the flavor of the meat by accident.

So, I'm seriously thinking about getting meat rabbits, but, the problem is that neither I or my BF have ever eaten rabbit. So, we have a store bought commercial rabbit in the freezer to try. I don't want to cover it in sauce and mask the flavor, I want to know what the rabbit tastes like (otherwise what is the point?) but I still want it to taste good.

I'm thinking maybe baste with melted butter and just salt and pepper or lemon pepper it before roasting?

What are your suggestions?
Domestic rabbits are mild tasting and lean. Easy to dry out. ( Like chicken breast) I like to take legs off. Use belly and kidneys for sausage. Someone else told me they made jerky with belly flaps.Back straps saved for making stir fry. Legs, ribs, and carcass I precook in pressure cooker with bay leaf and allspice (or simmer). Then keep in broth(keeps meat moist). Brush legs and ribs with barbecue to warm in oven or on grill. Or dredge in flour and pan fry in butter. I pick snibbles of meat off carcass to use for tamales or tacos or add to remaining broth for vegetable soup. Rabbit liver is the best. I just gently pan fry with onion salt and pepper With only 2 of us we get lots of meals from one rabbit. One important tip I got was collect belly and gizzards in freezer till you get enough. Grind while still partially frozen. (Fresh doesn't grind well). Taste of home has a yummy breakfast sausage recipe that adds ground apple for moisture ( I also add onion) instead of the extra fat most recipes use. But I've also added a little bacon ground in (with liver sausage) Hilly Billy says they would add a little ice water and do drop and flip
Over cooking will make dry.
Hope you enjoy your new adventure. Rabbit has become my favorite. Low cholesterol, higher protein, and truly yummy..

We think the back is the tastiest and most tender part of the rabbit. You can rub with butter, salt and pepper and just roast in the oven. Or cut into two or three pieces, bread and fry it.

I sometimes just fry the legs in a pan with a little salt and pepper.

Most times I put it in the pressure cooker for 10 minutes, shred/cut it and use it for Chili, Szegediner Goulash, Lasagne, Rabbit Sweet-Sour etc.
Would you be willing to share your sweet and sour recipe? I've been looking for a good one!

Latest posts

Back