Mini Rex vs Netherland dwarfs

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Id go to a show a see how you like the competition. Both are very competitive but it seems ND, if they are tamed down and sweet, are sold easier than Mini Rex if that is what you intend to do with culls. Both have regular dwarf breed issues. I think the Mini Rex are a sweeter breed than the ND. To be competitive with these breeds it's important to start out with excellent stock because they are so competitive. So I suggest to purchase the best stock you can from the get go. People are usually in an out of those breeds because they start off with snipey,donkey eared examples with bad type. Don't be afraid to shop around and make a list of potential purchases and find yourself a good herd buck or two. They are the heart of your herd!

The problem is finding a breeder around herE with good stock... I need to find a good show in my area soon, I with I could of made it to the arba in pa...

Mini rex are a little bit larger in body so they breed easier. I started with Netherlands and change get over to mini rex

I've had both, prefer Mini Rex over Netherland Dwarfs. If you're showing ARBA, find the breed specialty sites and locate a breeder in your area. Find a breeder that lists well on the points/show. Some times you can find rabbits that are good cheaper than averages I've listed, I know I've been told some will cut new ones a break to get them a good start if can show seriousness, but that's with what I've looked at for bare min start of some thing that *might* do good with careful breeding. The new ones I got this year to help with my tri and otters were 75.00 and up, but they are brood/too young to tell for certains...I did purchase 1 young jr buck that is show quality, but it is a big gamble considering his age and the time to where I will get to show him. Some thing else to remember is choice of color, harder to work with colors are going to be more expensive than common ones. Decent typed colored rabbits usually are 2-3x that of the same quality of a common one :(

Mini Rex:

General size: Max 4lbs 8oz size, can be larger for false dwarf broods (bucks or does)
Expense: They are competitive, a decent BROOD quality trio will be 250.00 to 300.00. They may or may not produce show quality offspring as with any other breedings. If you can afford ones that are doing well on the show table, it'll be at least that much per rabbit.
Feeding: They eat about 1-1 1/2 cup pellets per day, most will eat more and be fat pollies if you let them though.
Breed Issues: Usual peanuts and general breed faults (long, narrow, racy, thin fur, long ears, etc). SOME lines do have issues with feet more than others, go for a line that is kept on the kind of cages YOU want or are using.
Temperament: Handling often and getting a line that is friendly is key, some can be nasty as with any other breed.

Netherland Dwarf:
General size: 2 lbs 8oz max, can be larger for false dwarf broods (bucks or does). Typically your "show" dwarfs will be 2lbs or less.
Expense: About the same as MR, if not more depending on area.
Feeding: Eat about 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup daily. Same issue as others, if you let some they will get too fat to move.
Breeding Issues: Same as other, add head and pinched hips more into this breed concern. With their larger heads, they tend to have more issues with stuck kids. Certain lines are worse than others, ask around and ask your breeder what they usually have going on in their litters.
Temperament: Same as others, once n a while will get a really nasty one that is awesome in type but for most part this has been bred out. I can remember 10 years ago when first looking at them you got some really nice ones that had crappy attitudes :/

__________ Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:28 pm __________

Vote with going to a show and looking around. The more you talk and look the more likely you are to find just what fits for you :)

Rebel.Rose.Rabbitry":1g67cgnw said:
I've had both, prefer Mini Rex over Netherland Dwarfs. If you're showing ARBA, find the breed specialty sites and locate a breeder in your area. Find a breeder that lists well on the points/show. Some times you can find rabbits that are good cheaper than averages I've listed, I know I've been told some will cut new ones a break to get them a good start if can show seriousness, but that's with what I've looked at for bare min start of some thing that *might* do good with careful breeding. The new ones I got this year to help with my tri and otters were 75.00 and up, but they are brood/too young to tell for certains...I did purchase 1 young jr buck that is show quality, but it is a big gamble considering his age and the time to where I will get to show him. Some thing else to remember is choice of color, harder to work with colors are going to be more expensive than common ones. Decent typed colored rabbits usually are 2-3x that of the same quality of a common one :(

Mini Rex:

Netherland Dwarf:
General size: 2 lbs 8oz max, can be larger for false dwarf broods (bucks or does). Typically your "show" dwarfs will be 2lbs or less.
Expense: About the same as MR, if not more depending on area.
Feeding: Eat about 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup daily. Same issue as others, if you let some they will get too fat to move.
Breeding Issues: Same as other, add head and pinched hips more into this breed concern. With their larger heads, they tend to have more issues with stuck kids. Certain lines are worse than others, ask around and ask your breeder what they usually have going on in their litters.
Temperament: Same as others, once n a while will get a really nasty one that is awesome in type but for most part this has been bred out. I can remember 10 years ago when first looking at them you got some really nice ones that had crappy attitudes :/

Feeding is 1/4 cup.

I doubt head has anything to do with stuck kits. I haven't had any issues with stuck kits in my rabbits, and my buck has a huge, square head.

On the temperament issue, breeders are focusing a lot more on personality.

2 lb. or less? That would be a small rabbit. Usually show rabbits can go up to the weight limit. I doubt anybody would show a 1 lb rabbit. o_O

On the prices. Depends on what breeder. The breeder really close to me usually sells NICE rabbits for about 40 dollars. On the other hand, another rabbitry that is a couple hours away from me sells nice rabbits for 125 dollars.

The NDs have been 2lbs or 1 3/4 that looked huge, but weren't that much. I've not seen a 1lb rabbit shown either, was just a general and not exact ;)

Very true, IF I want to get any thing in here it usually costs upwards. By the time the rabbit cost itself plus transportation is figured in...its very expensive :( I wish there were more breeders near by...

I have both and personally I think Nds are harder to breed imo that is. And my ND that I have is a very very nice rabbit but she has very sweet parents etc.
So I personally think Mr are easier :/????!! But it's definitely up to you

I think mini rex is better I have a Netherland dwarf, well mine is a girl so yea girls are usually more stingy and stuff but boys might be better they are both cute netherlands are cuter though mini rex are friendlier netherlands are smaller, with smaller ears, and yea.

Latest posts

Back