Mini Rex Tips?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitsOfTheCreek

Netherland Dwarf Breeder & Well-known Member
Reaction score
A week ago (at the show) I got a Mini Rex Buck that was 8 weeks at the time (so 9 weeks now). I was wondering what I should look [out] for and what I should expect.
I've already thought about if I'm going to need to feed him limited pellets and look into getting a bigger cage when he gets older, but I also wanted to know what I should look for in the color, structure, etc. I'm looking to show him and not eat him.
His color is Siamese Smoke Pearl, and we already transitioned him from his pellets to ours

IMG_20230415_071633040~2.jpg
IMG_20230417_215223379~2.jpgIMG_20230419_173016016~2.jpgIMG_20230415_193333834~2.jpgIMG_20230421_180214331~2.jpg

A week ago (at the show) I got a Mini Rex Buck that was 8 weeks at the time (so 9 weeks now). I was wondering what I should look [out] for and what I should expect.
I've already thought about if I'm going to need to feed him limited pellets and look into getting a bigger cage when he gets older, but I also wanted to know what I should look for in the color, structure, etc. I'm looking to show him and not eat him.
His color is Siamese Smoke Pearl, and we already transitioned him from his pellets to ours
He's darling, and I l-o-v-e the color! I have a special spot in my heart for Mini Rex - the bucks are real characters and the does are such sweeties. Your bunny has the look of a well-bred Mini Rex.

Mini Rex are a compact breed, not a high-head-set breed like your NDs, so you do want to learn how to pose him. The pose is similar to the commercial pose: front feet directly under the eyes, and the high point/knee joint/back toes all lined up. They will look more rounded than a meat rabbit since they're shorter-bodied, but the effect is similar:
InkedBlkComet.jpg
They should look essentially the same when viewed from the top.

It's hard to say from photos, without him being posed and because he's so young, but your bunny might be a little flat, maybe could use a little more in the shoulders; that shoulder development might very well come with maturity. His ears might be a bit on the long side, but again, that could easily be his age. They should not be as short as ND ears, but Mini Rex have a maximum allowable ear length of 3-1/2 inches.

Coat is very important in MR but it can be hard to judge until they're a bit older, unless you know your line and how it develops. From the photos it looks like he's got good potential. One of the most common faults in good-quality MR is a lack of density, and the dilutes (smoke pearl is one) can tend to be a bit soft in texture. When he gets his adult coat, you'll want it to spring back instantly when you press it with your hand. If your fingers leave a hand print in the fur, it needs more density. The texture should be velvety, not cottony soft. But he's got a baby coat, so all you can do is guess at future density. He does look like his coat has good length.

I'll look forward to seeing how this pretty baby grows up! :D

He's darling, and I l-o-v-e the color! I have a special spot in my heart for Mini Rex - the bucks are real characters and the does are such sweeties. Your bunny has the look of a well-bred Mini Rex.

Mini Rex are a compact breed, not a high-head-set breed like your NDs, so you do want to learn how to pose him. The pose is similar to the commercial pose: front feet directly under the eyes, and the high point/knee joint/back toes all lined up. They will look more rounded than a meat rabbit since they're shorter-bodied, but the effect is similar:
View attachment 35498
They should look essentially the same when viewed from the top.

It's hard to say from photos, without him being posed and because he's so young, but your bunny might be a little flat, maybe could use a little more in the shoulders; that shoulder development might very well come with maturity. His ears might be a bit on the long side, but again, that could easily be his age. They should not be as short as ND ears, but Mini Rex have a maximum allowable ear length of 3-1/2 inches.

Coat is very important in MR but it can be hard to judge until they're a bit older, unless you know your line and how it develops. From the photos it looks like he's got good potential. One of the most common faults in good-quality MR is a lack of density, and the dilutes (smoke pearl is one) can tend to be a bit soft in texture. When he gets his adult coat, you'll want it to spring back instantly when you press it with your hand. If your fingers leave a hand print in the fur, it needs more density. The texture should be velvety, not cottony soft. But he's got a baby coat, so all you can do is guess at future density. He does look like his coat has good length.

I'll look forward to seeing how this pretty baby grows up! :D
Thank you so much! I'll be looking into how to pose him

Latest posts

Back