mini rex critique

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessicaR

Reaction score
We got our new mini rexes last night! I have to say I am completely in love with them, they are such sweet and calm bunnies. If you could please tell me what you think of them. I want to know what is good and bad about them dont worry about hurting my feelings I can take it :) . I know they probably arent the greatest quality but I really want to learn more about them. I tried to pose them like I have seen in other pictures but they didnt want to stay still.

Tex is a 5 month old blue. to me his fur looks funny I am not sure if its because he is molting maybe or if he just has bad fur?

Snuggles 3 month black otter

Attachments

• IMG_1625.JPG
    IMG_1625.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 1,222
  • IMG_1627.JPG
    IMG_1627.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 1,222
  • IMG_1620.JPG
    IMG_1620.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 1,222
  • IMG_1621.JPG
    IMG_1621.JPG
    207 KB · Views: 1,222
the blue looks to be moulting to me.

I think they need to be scrunched more to critique them better. but from what I can see the blue has longish ears and that's all I can tell you.

The black otter just looks promising to me. Might have long shoulders as i see a dip before the rise.

thanks! I am not really sure on the whole posing thing with MR's, lionheads are posed upright. :oops: The blue one does have long ears when I measured them they were just over 3.5 inches so I believe that DQ's him from the ring? He also has a long tail I dont know if that is normal or not. Oh well we will just keep practicing and learning from them.

Also how do you tell if a rabbit is over weight? I dont know if it is just their natural shape or if the black otter is just fat, she seems to be wide in the back/stomach area but has a small head. I am used to LH's that seem to have the same thickness from front to back and no pouch in the gut :lol:

Wide in the back is good. If your lionheads were wet or clipped, you would probably find that they aren't as uniform as you think, the fluff is misleading. Fat on rabbits usually presents itself in rolls of skin in my experience. Extra big dewlap, fat that lays over the tail and hind feet, things like that. It feels fatty, not solid. Rex fur sometimes looks "fat" to my eye due to it's texture, but if you feel the rabbit it is clearly a healthy weight. I think that look is actually desirable in MR.

However if the otter is a she, and her belly gets big...there is another reason that could happen...;)

the otter is a female and she is 3 months old. She has been kept seperated from the buck so I dont think she could be pregnant (she was kept in the house not the barn). I guess I am just not used to the body difference they are solid rabbits. I just weighed them and they are; 5 month old buck: 3 pounds 10 ounces. 3 month old doe 1 pound 9 ounces they feel heavier than they actually are I guess. Where my lionheads feel lighter if that makes since :lol: I guess all that fluff makes a difference!

Sounds like you got some tiny ones! (that's good)

I like your little black otter, I'm not sure about the blue but he looks good other than his ears. He's nice and wide in his loin area. That black otter is TINY!

I like the blue better. It seems a bit better balanced and develops better overall, although the loin is a little pinched. The fur is likely going into a moult, or it's possibly discolored a bit due to heat exposure.

The otter has some very strong points, but starts to round out around the hips a little too early, and is a little flat over the shoulder.

thanks for the input! I am learning alot from everyone hear! :bunnyhop:

Also keep in mind, your rabbits are young, they may grow into there ears, or their head will grow, which will
Make them more appealing. This happened to us.

I also think the black otter looks promising. It's got a nice topline and good balance, but from the looks of it (it may just be the pose) it could use some more depth overall and a fuller hindquarter. The ears may be a little long, but it's hard to tell. Shoulders look a touch too long too, but again it could be age/pose of the bun.
The blue looks long in body (again, could be pose, but you can't scrunch a long rabbit short)but looks a little fuller in the hq than the otter. Hopefully it will grow into those years or carry the depth to balance them. Hopefully the blue is tensing up in the front and doesn't peak too early; lots of juniors have a tendency to do that. Darn that molt! Looks like he could have some nice fur. They both have nice color, the otter looks pretty correct.
These guys look like they are some nice buns! I'm just being super super picky ;)

Latest posts

Back