Mini lop baby colours..

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bun

Reaction score
Hello Rabbit lovers, I have just purchased a lovely black mini lop (although you can see a tinge of grey on head and chest). If I breed him with a blue doe what colour kits will I get? Also I have a black butterfly male, what colour will the kits be if he mates with the blue doe?
:pancake:

File won't let me upload as saying to big. Male is black and Female is pure blue. Could I get a variety of colours in the kits?

No, you will probably only get blacks with such a cross but your description "you can see a tinge of grey on head and chest" leads me to believe this rabbit is not a "black" but another colour

annoyingly wont let me upload the picture:(. Thank you for your helpful replies, i am new to this and want to get as many answers as i can. When i say slight grey you can see a blue tone on his chest slightly, you would see what i meant if you could see the picture. He is predominantly black though. I want to get a doe for him when he is old enough to be bred. But what color would you suggest i get. The blue is very popular along with the broken black people like. I just don't want an all black litter.

Do you know the colours of his parents or his littermates ?

Broken is a more dominant colour so you should get around 50% broken patterned kits when bred to a solid

Mum was lilac (unsure of dad) and litter mate colours consisted of black, white and blues. <br /><br /> __________ Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:27 pm __________ <br /><br /> But you said black Buck and blue doe will probably produce mainly blacks? So would a broken colour be of a better choice?

If the black had a lilac mother then he should produce some blues when bred to a blue. He would also carry the chocolate gene and if the blue doe also carries this gene you could get chocolate or possibly lilac

Wow thank you. This is the doe I am getting (you can see her litter mates in the background).

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 698
This is indeed a self blue who likely carries the non extension colour gene as two of her siblings are blue torts

Can you post a picture of your black buck?

Here is the black Buck if you look closely at his chest is where you can see some lilac and under his feet. What does non extension mean?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    449.9 KB · Views: 692
OK, he looks like a self black but because of this fluffy fur you can see his undercoat which is normally more blue-ish

Non-extension is one of several colour genes found in rabbits, it turns black (or blue or chocolate or lilac) rabbits into torts and chinchilla rabbits into frosties.

Is the blue doe a lop?

Here is a better picture of the doe yes she is a lop, her mum is sandy coloured and dad is blue.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 130
Back