Meet Caramel

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Susie570":192qevpc said:
Bedbugs are also a possibility as they CAN live on and travel on critters, but it's unlikely unless the buns were kept in a house.

Nah, they were kept outdoors in the backyard.
Which seems odd, too. Coco had bugs on her as well, and was kept in the yard. But it sounds weird because you guys all keep your buns outside and don't have any bugs on them (well, only occasionally).

Suzie570":192qevpc said:
It definitely SOUNDS like fleas (especially with being all around her eyes and such). Fleas also like to hang around on the belly and in the folds between the legs, where it's warm and moist.

I don't know about the belly (haven't checked). Around the eyes there are a lot of fleas, sometimes you can see them emerge from the fur and hastily run somewhere else. :x Idk. And yes, they jump. The one in the picture I tried to squish (darn those hard shells on those stupid fleas) but it jumped. Very high. *Blurgh!*

Forgot about flea combs. That would work well. Funnies, you can get inexpensive plastic ones for about a buck or two at Petsmart or Walmart. then comb, comb, comb, dipping the comb when you see fleas to get rid of them. Check the belly, ears, and butt area carefully. The dense fur, warmth and hiding places make it ideal for fleas.

Dood":2ijhdrt6 said:
Is it just me or does that bug have antenna?

That is the back leg(s)- took me a while to figure it out, too. :lol:

Dood":2ijhdrt6 said:
Never mind - I rotated and tweaked the photo and I think I can see it now and it does sorta look like a flea

Yep- easier to see that way, isn't it? :)

Zass":2ijhdrt6 said:
You are now my personal hero. :)

Lol, Zass! For being "batty" or "buggy"? ;)

Thankfully, they never got established that first year because we went on "bedbug hunts" every morning. Turned back the sheets, shook the pillows, hunted for them on the dresser that is directly below the peak of the roof in the bedroom, and vacuuming baseboards... so we never had the infestation where you see them all lined up on the edges of the mattress like you do with the online images.

Getting bitten multiple times every night and scratching-scratching-scratching all day long have a way of motivating you. But I felt very ashamed- nothing like bedbugs to make you feel like white trash, even if we knew it was because of the bats. :roll:

UPDATE

Most of the fleas seem to be gone. 90%, in fact :D I don't know where they went, but this is what's confusing me.
I found a TON of little red dots, little stains about the size of one of these letters. Scattered over the blanket with about an inch of space between them, relatively even pattern. I don't know what they are and still haven't figured out what the worms are, but I'll try to get a pic later. :x Well, anyways, if anybody can help, please do. I'm still quite relieved that the fleas are gone.
About the flea comb - I would, but don't they jump away and get all over the place once they're out of the rabbit's fur? I squished one into a towel, but it jumped off - and that's all I'm worried about if I use a lice/flea comb. Anyway, help needed. :help:

Fleas do not normally live ON the animal, they live in it's habitat and jump on it to feed or lay eggs. (I've seen flea eggs in fur before scattering and falling out when the animal moved.)

So, your fleas are already probably all over any area where you've had the rabbit.

If you can find this product, I strongly recommend it for your situation:
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/advantage-flea-c ... tes-p-1173

I have found some for sale in the US on amazon before. Don't have time to look it up now...

I'm not a big fan of using chemicals to treat insect infestations, but...I don't think you have the time and experience to go through with more natural methods that involve cleaning of the home and property and animal.

Two months of this and you should be flea free...so long as all the other pets in your household are also treated..

heritage":uqhkmrzn said:
Get some dawn dishsoap (the blue stuff), add a little to a bowl of water, then drop the fleas in it as you pull them out with the comb. Kills them instantly...

Ooh, good to know. :x Thanks so much, heritage. That is very useful. :sick: While I don't even like killing ants/spiders/aphids, it's different if it's infesting your pet... :shock:

Back