Meat Rabbit Breeds

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canlay

Reaction score
Hi everyone

So I have been breeding meat rabbits for a while now, I have a california doe, a new zealand buck, a harlequin doe, and a mix-breed (new zealand/harlequin) buck. I'm going to add another doe soon, but I was curious as to what breeds everyone else does for their meat rabbits

I'm interested in getting a Champaign D'argent or a Rex. I know they tend to run a little bigger, and I know that the "giant" breeds don't make good meat rabbits. Does anyone else use d'argent or rex rabbits for meat breeding? \

I suggest a Rex. My Rex does average about 10 pounds as adults, and they have super sweet temperaments. And not to mention they are soooooooo soft!!!!

Despite my avatar, I hiiiighly recommend Rex. They come in a beautiful variety of colors and can be easily sold for pet/show as well. If you like roast rabbit vs. fry rabbits they also have beautiful valuable pelts. :) (They also in my experience breed way easier than NZW)

We raise and breed Champagne D'Argents and Creme D'Argents. I would recommend them to anyone in a heartbeat. They aren't a "giant breed". Ours range is size from 9lbs up to 12lbs. They aren't as full bodied as our Silver Foxes but still have a solid build. Their temperament is what we like the most. Great Mommas and the bucks always end up being the most friendly rabbits we raise.

I have a Rex trio and a pair of mixed dwarf does. The mixed ones produce fryers that grow out just as good as the purebreds but seem to sell a bit better than the Rex in this area.

With so little space one of the mixed does is going soon as I have a red Rex doe that I held back to replace her with.

If you love fur get a Rex, they add depth and thickness to first generation kits that is fantastic.

Champagne D'argent are the ideal size for a meat breed. Rex are a commercial breed but are a bit on the small size for a meat rabbit. Neither of those are giant breeds.

It really boils down to age you are looking to slaughter...fryers or roasters...if it's strictly meat or meat, fur, pet, any and all etc...Rex as others have said will run around 8 and 10 lbs fully grown about same as size a Californian, but mature slightly slower than NZ..they do have awesome fur and are a very docile and friendly breed making them easy to work with and dual purpose great for fur or pets ... Champagne D'Argent have about the best meat to bone ratio of any similar size meat rabbit, so even though I'm partial to the Rex breed if you are strictly using or selling for meat my choice would be the Champagne, but if you make use of fur or sell for pets also I would add a Rex in there.

I used to breed NZ reds, but have American Cinchillas now. First litter in about a week, so I hope it will work out well! I have one registered buck and an unregistered doe, and a little mutt doe at the moment. 9-12 lbs and beautiful coats, but for maximum versitility I would choose purebred rex. You just can't miss, having the pet/show/fur/meat options.

Hi everyone

So I have been breeding meat rabbits for a while now, I have a california doe, a new zealand buck, a harlequin doe, and a mix-breed (new zealand/harlequin) buck. I'm going to add another doe soon, but I was curious as to what breeds everyone else does for their meat rabbits

I'm interested in getting a Champaign D'argent or a Rex. I know they tend to run a little bigger, and I know that the "giant" breeds don't make good meat rabbits. Does anyone else use d'argent or rex rabbits for meat breeding? \
I have all New Zealand Whites. The only drawback is the females can get aggressive. The males are very docile and easily handed. I normally process them at 5-6 months any later and they can get tough.

I'm ready to purchase my first rabbits and am planning to have Silver Fox for both meat and to sell. :)

Back