Meat pen rabbit injury

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kd444

Reaction score
Hello!
One of our meat pen rabbits (7 wks) has an open lesion. We noticed the day after we picked up it had a sore that seemed to have started to scab over (size of a dime or so) to lower right of its ear towards neck area. We treated with vet antiseptic spray, and Neosporin. It was seeming to heal well. So we stopped applying anything to it. Two nights ago we noticed a much worse lesion ( I am not certain how f this could be the original one or not) it’s in the same area but slightly higher going towards the upper neck. It’s larger and fresh and open.
We have cleaned it, and started applying blue kote. It’s separated now from others. I do see it grooming itself and trying to lick it.
I don’t know what it is or how to treat it.
First 2 images are the day we noticed it
Second 2 are healing update
Third set is current

Attachments

• IMG_2105.mov
    47.6 MB
  • IMG_2106.jpeg
    IMG_2106.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2241.jpeg
    IMG_2241.jpeg
  • IMG_2245.jpeg
    IMG_2245.jpeg
    980 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2372.jpeg
    IMG_2372.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2371.jpeg
    IMG_2371.jpeg
I had thought that as well.. but I never noticed any aggression from the rabbit it was housed with.

Had kit with big cut on the back once, covered it with alu spray (silvery stuff that acts like a bandagespray). Couldn´t find a scar or anything when the hair had grown back. Ditto for another one with cut on belly near hindleg. If it is clean it will heal from the things i have seen, but few and not from animal bites or some such.
Finding out the cause of these injuries is important. Squabble between littermates or oepsie with doe is way less likely to repeat or happen to another one then something chewing on bunnies.

What is a sock collar?
I’ve heard of E collars but not the sock one.
A sock collar is a sock you filled with stuffing to wrap around a rabbits neck. Tends to be better tolerated (and cheaper) than other things you can use to keep them from reaching an area they are licking. :)

Of course I'm assuming it's an injury and not a lesion due to fungal or other types of conditions. (I"m sick and struggling to find the correct words). It may need treatment in order to heal. It's not something like ringworm?

A sock collar is a sock you filled with stuffing to wrap around a rabbits neck. Tends to be better tolerated (and cheaper) than other things you can use to keep them from reaching an area they are licking. :)

Of course I'm assuming it's an injury and not a lesion due to fungal or other types of conditions. (I"m sick and struggling to find the correct words). It may need treatment in order to heal. It's not something like ringworm?

Not that it appear to be.. seems like it would’ve spread to other areas and I think the littermate it was housed with would have had something.?
Today it appears to be hardening flesh wise. I think mainly due to the blue kote.
Have caught some initial licking after I cleaned it.
Since our show is in 2 1/2 weeks I don’t foresee this healing, thus it would likely DQ it 😭
And I’m not certain we can do showmanship of it has a sore that is healing??

Latest posts

Back