meat flavor, feeding pellets vs natural diet

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ek.blair

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
So, I have heard that rabbits tend to taste better when they are fed a natural diet vs the pellets. I have ours on pellets for ease of feeding and making sure they all get the nutrition needed and will feed them some natural forage in the evenings. Has anyone ever tried continuing supplementing the rabbits with natural forage throughout the growout stage and then feeding soley natural for the last week or two to improve taste. What are some thoughts on this? Hubs wants us to try this so if no one else has then I guess I will raise one litter that way and one on pellets only and then keep track of my findings :) :pancake:

I think it's really a matter of opinion. Some people swear corn fed beef tastes better, some people prefer grassfed.

In general the principle is something along the lines of "the more really good nutrition they get, the more you get out of the meat." Some amount of greens throughout their lives would certainly be better than none(IMO).

I personally prefer lean, nutrient dense meats. Recently, I've been "dieting" my kits before butchering time to try and get a leaner carcass. Giving more hay and dried forage and less pellets.
Kits free fed on just pellets and hay tend to have more fat than I like.

Zass":381oavit said:
Recently, I've been "dieting" my kits before butchering time to try and get a leaner carcass. Giving more hay and dried forage and less pellets.
Kits free fed on just pellets and hay tend to have more fat than I like.

How long do you "diet" them for to decrease the fat? That is more of what I am going for, lean! My husband is the one worried about taste :shock: I will keep them on the pellets as this line will need all the extra umph they can get to reach a good butcher weight in decent time :roll: but I will still be giving fresh green too! :) Then maybe a week before, stop the pellets?

Butcher weight doesn't mean much to me, if I'm feeding them just to produce fat!

What I've started doing was getting them to the weight I want (right around 8-9 weeks), and then reducing their pellets for a week in an attempt to turn whatever fat they had put on into muscle, without worrying too much about growth at that point, since they are already "big enough" for eating.

I'm not sure if it's working yet, but what I did discover is that the carcasses of the smaller kits in my litters are carrying more fat than the larger kits when I do this. So, saving the larger kits from consecutive litters should be selecting for kits that can grow with less calories and put on meat instead of fat. Have no idea how all that effects taste, but the extra week might be making them one week less tender.
Since I grind most of the cuts, it doesn't make much of a difference to me.

When I read the title of the thread... my mind was elsewhere. I immediately thought, "who the heck in their right mind would buy meat-flavored pellets for their rabbits?!?!"

Yeah... I must be tired.

Without really considering flavor, I also kind of put my growouts on a diet recently. I had 12 meat kits. The first 6 we butchered at 10 weeks old. They were all between 4.5-5 lbs. They had a lot of fat in them. I had been giving grains during the winter and since winter here is so long, those kits got to about 8 weeks before I started tapering off the grain rations. And there was no greens in their diet until they were probably 4 weeks old and it was minimum at best because it was just so early in the spring that collecting greens was time-consuming.

There were 2 rabbits that went at 12 weeks and they'd had no grains for 4 weeks and more greens, but still were getting about a half cup of pellets each day. They had less fat.

The final 4 we kept around until 16 weeks so that their pelts would be good for tanning. They were getting no more than 2 Tbsp of pellets per day, plus 2 Tbsp quick oats and 2 heaping handfuls of grasses and weeds. They had very little fat. These guys weighed only 5.1 lbs average live. So a whole 6 weeks after the first ones (same litters, so same birthdates) their weights were not much different... but they were lean. Now, these were also the chinchilla colored rabbits, which did grow the slowest of all the colors on average, so that partly accounts for their low overall weight. But... they had very lovely muscle tone, despite not getting very much exercise and very meaty backs and thighs.

Taste test? They pretty much taste the same. Just less fat. And... it saved us money on pellets. That's my 2 cents.

squidpop":30s4cp7a said:
meat flavor on pellets vs natural ?

My rabbit prefer nacho cheese flavored pellets, over meat and natural flavored.

:pancake:
:rotfl:

My first thought when I saw the title was, "Meat flavored pellets? Why? Would they even eat them?"

To my taste, the naturally fed meat tastes better, but you must keep in mind that rabbits fed heavily on greens do not gain weight as fast as rabbits on pellets. On the other hand, they will have only a small amount of fat, so you will probably get about the same amount of lean meat.

I'm down to the final touches on finishing my fodder room. So, I'll soon know
if there's a major difference between pellet versus natural flavor. It's been a
long road on this project.

Health issues...(mainly old-age) have slowed the process. Coupled with the
fact that this is a completely new area I've never experienced, I'm wanting
everything to be as near "perfect" as I can get it. It's within a matter of
days now that I can begin. If nothing else, I've got a completely different
look to my old feed room. Plus, I've got running water inside now. :p

grumpy.

Latest posts

Back