Meals On Wheels----Rabbitry

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shelbers91":duv77i6r said:
Oxygen and Magnesium!! (Periodic OMG) lol that is honestly the most amazing set up I have ever seen! I thought about getting an office trailer for my birds once and setting it up like an aviary and stuff (untill my boyfriend said stop thinking ill just get a 2nd job and we will move out.. Lol but that is very inspirational! I want one! (Just maybe a little smaller) my bf says I could have my rabbits as long as they were outside so maybe he can make me one ^_^ thanks for posting!

How does the pee go strait to the dirt?

Thank!

Look at the pictures closely----you will see ""under"" the cages is just wire over the floor joist---Urine just falls to the dirt. The white things under the cages spaced apart are there to keep the urine off the top edge of the floor joist. They are bent in a upside down V shape---"Joist guards" would be a good way to describe them--LOL.

I would love to know more about how you built it and what it roughly cost you. This is just so inspirational, and I can just imagine some free ranging hens having so much fun scratching through the last spot the trailer was sitting on! How predator proof would you rate this?

Good to see you here Fire-Man!

As soon as I saw the title I thought of the post on "the other forum"! LOL

Then I click, and low and behold .. it's you!

:welcome:

Your rabbitry is sooo awesome! If we had a larger piece of land that was much more level, we'd probably go the same route! Love it!

I, too, saw this on the "other" forum and was amazed! I only wish we had enough flat land to build something like this.

and..welcome! Hope we see more of your posts here- always good info.

Wow...that is just about the coolest set up I've ever seen! Thanks so much for posting all of your pics. Loved them!

PistolPackingMomma":iihf56zc said:
I would love to know more about how you built it and what it roughly cost you. This is just so inspirational, and I can just imagine some free ranging hens having so much fun scratching through the last spot the trailer was sitting on! How predator proof would you rate this?

PPMomma. You wanting me to Feel Bad---LOL. I try not to figure how much money things cost--might make me change my mind about building it---LOL(just Joking). Feel free to ask any questions about any part of the build you need/want more details about. This started out as a camper that had water damaged floors. I gave $350 for the camper and stripped it, windows, doors, bathroom---I took anything of value off/out of it. (Now I got 2 outside doors, lots of windows etc, etc, to build the next project/s--LOL) My tractor has a frontend loader/pallet forks on it---I quickly stripped the metal off the side of it and snatched the wire out of it and sold it for around $150. That left me with about $200 in the rest. I tore the rest off the metal frame. I went with Treated floor joist and studs so I could keep spraying those off with a water hose.
Camper frame------$200
Treated Wood------$400
Tin on top--------$300
2x4 wire----------$100---- So looks like about $1000 to this point

I bought the cages, waterers, feeders used over a year ago for $275---used them in my other rabbitry.
All the other lumber I had because I have a woodmizer sawmill so I have not figures the cost of it if I had of bought it but if I had of bought it---probably a couple hundred more. I built the chainlink door out of things I had. I had the tarps which is why I used them instead of getting a Better one. I had the pvc pipe I used to roll up the tarp sides etc. The white water tank you can see up at the rafters was the water holding tank out the camper I tore apart.

(I will start another post to answer your other question because the page is Jumping-LOL)<br /><br />__________ Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:32 pm __________<br /><br />
PistolPackingMomma":iihf56zc said:
How predator proof would you rate this?

I feel it is very predator proof for my area. Think about this, if something gets inside the trailer, my cages are heavy built so the rabbits are still protected in them. I wanted this where a dog or bigger animals could not get to the cages, which is why I used the 2x4" welded wire on the floor and sides. Look at others set-up that are outside----alot of them are just the cages hanging under a shed etc. With my setup the predator would have to tear into the trailer to get to the cages first. I have snakes here but since getting my first pair of rabbits in 1977 I have never lost a rabbit to a snake. My cages have always been up off the dirt. If you got Any questions just ask.

Fire-man,
What are the triangular white things you're using to keep urine off the wood under the cages? That is the MOST amazing set-up ever. I'd love to be able to move my "barn" more under the trees in the summer and then to higher ground in winter. You've really created a wonderful design. Thank you for sharing with us!

PatS":27lk27uz said:
Fire-man,
What are the triangular white things you're using to keep urine off the wood under the cages? That is the MOST amazing set-up ever. I'd love to be able to move my "barn" more under the trees in the summer and then to higher ground in winter. You've really created a wonderful design. Thank you for sharing with us!
Thanks for all the Good Words. I use anything I got on hand---if it will work. The white pieces are aluminum that is used with vinyl siding to cover any wood. I had some rolls of it that I picked up cheap at a auction a couple years back and I have a metal brake so I used it. It should last a few years because the urine will "eat" up alot of things. I have some extra so in a few years if a piece needs replacing it will be a simple deal. They are just held in place with 2 wires.

__________ Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:40 pm __________

I wanted to add this---It cost some to build this but the way I look at it is I hope to be able to use this for years and if I decide to quit raising Rabbits I should be able to sell it and get most if not all my money back. I think I can find someone that would be interested in buying this if I decided to sell. I will spray the non-treated wood soon with a water seal. When these pictures were taken, the boards on the sides/ends were "green" just been sawed so I had to let them air dry some. This rabbitry stays on the back of my farm and would rarely be seen by anyone except for the family so I was not trying to build it fancy. When I got it built, I got to thinking, other rabbit raisers might be interested in this design---So what I built in the beginning that I figured only a few will see---I then post it on a Public Forum for the World to see----LOL "ain't I Smart" LOL.

Fire-Man,

Thanks so much for responding to my request to post your pics here. That is a really ingenious way to house rabbits! I just knew our folks here would love to see it. It looks very compact and easy to move if need be.

MamaSheepdog":13bj977v said:
That has got to be the coolest set up EVER! :p

I love it. My kids said that if it is road worthy it would be great to take the rabbits to a show with it!

Can you imagine the looks when you bring the whole thing?

jessie15273":2ukvyo18 said:
MamaSheepdog":2ukvyo18 said:
That has got to be the coolest set up EVER! :p

I love it. My kids said that if it is road worthy it would be great to take the rabbits to a show with it!

Can you imagine the looks when you bring the whole thing?

:lol: You'd be the talk of the show circuit, that's for sure!

OneAcreFarm":2k3qu9p7 said:
Fire-Man,

Thanks so much for responding to my request to post your pics here. That is a really ingenious way to house rabbits! I just knew our folks here would love to see it. It looks very compact and easy to move if need be.
Thank You!!, I think most everyone likes it----LOL.

It is very easy to move and does not have very much tongue weight unless that 50 gal water tank over the front door is full--That will add over 400lbs to the tongue. I made a adapter to fit the original screw down jacks under the camper and this adapter fits my cordless drill. I just screw the jacks up and with my tractor which will have a ball hitch on it---I just back up to the trailer hitch and pick up the tractor lift---Drive to where ever I want---adjust the level with my tractor lift, retighten the jacks and I am through. About 5 minutes. Fresh spot, fresh smell---LOL.

Fire-Man":3dnpj72c said:
mystang89":3dnpj72c said:
That's pretty neat. It's Noah's Ark on wheels for rabbits.

Its funny you said that----I told my Wife in the beginning it reminder me of Noah's Ark!

Hmm... any possibility of a breeding pair of each rabbit breed fitting in the "Ark"?

My husband is cursing your name right now lol! He caught me measuring our old landscape trailer and I showed him this setup, and grinned real big.

You know that grin, yes you do.

He's curled in the corner with a beer now. I think he shed a tear in it actually....

prairie dog":1ftpgs9k said:
My husband is cursing your name right now lol! He caught me measuring our old landscape trailer and I showed him this setup, and grinned real big.
You know that grin, yes you do.
He's curled in the corner with a beer now. I think he shed a tear in it actually....

LOL, Tell Him when My Wife Hints she Wants Something, I get Busy-She Takes Care of Me I take Care of her.(Now he can cuss me some more---LOL)

You can also check Craigslist for old campers or frames if you do not want to use your landscape trailer.

I got another camper frame ready today, I am going to build something similiar to this rabbitry to raise some meat chickens in.

Back