Me-Mow

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDWest

Reaction score
Meet Me-Mow :) Our family got him at the end of November from a neighbour. Figure he was around 5 weeks old. He was found by himself in a snow storm in their yard. They weren't sure where he came from, but we took him in. Was pretty runty and hungry when we got him, but he's growing like a bad weed now. 
Anyways, we're really impressed with this little guy! He is already prooving to be a fantastic mouser! Better then my two adult cats combined. It's gruesomely adorable watching him with his caught prizes. He acts so proud and hilarious! And he is very smart and mindful too...he is growing on my heart big time!  

Hugs!

Boop your nose!

When he was around 6 weeks

Thanks all.
I almost said no in taking him...but then i saw the cute little booger! I already have two adult fixed indoor/outdoor cats. But it's worked out perfect! They all got along from day one. Grooming him, playing with him, sleeping with him. My fixed female brought him a dead mouse and then showed him how to catch a mouse and it took off from there. It was almost like they thought he was for them. They are both pure black and are brother and sister. I was given them 5 years ago,
when visiting a farm to look at some livestock. There mother was hit on the highway. They were so little. Probably 4 weeks.

Ah well, they make a very pretty and fitting trio! And hubby adores him! The transition was very smooth and easy going.
As long as he gets the idea that when i start hatching chicks, they're off limits!

What a handsome little fellow! He looks full of personality and so content. :)

I'm glad he found his way into your hearts and home!

cute kitten. So quick a good mouser... very good. You may have a problem keeping him off your chicks though....

Wow he is cute! I can't a resist a little orange kitten.
Glad he is turning out to be a good mouser for you!

I'd certainly suggest a cat-proof brooder for those chicks. Young cats that are good mousers tend to view anything small that moves as fair game.

We did manage to teach Marilla that chicks and baby rabbits were off limits, but it took much repetition. "No, Marilla, those are Maggie's chicks." Or bunnies. She did respond, replacing hunter instinct with total disdain, but I never got to the point where I would really trust her with them. Keeping them apart is best all around.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be doing that at the start for sure.
Our animals are brought up underfoot of each other, so we're not about to adjust our normal farm habbits. Animals with jobs here are not allowed to stay if i can't trust them around valuable stock. Alot of our animals free range during the day incuding hens with their newly hatched chicks., ducklings, goslings. Me mow will learn this rule as my others have and with time and training become that. If not then he isnt right for our farm. Both my husband and mom think he'll do great though. 

I love the look of cats but we've had such horrible luck with them that I don't think I'll ever let another live around us. Maybe some more exotic type cats like bengals with their own room or basement to live in. They always pee on stuff even with access to the outdoors and a clean litter box, destroy household items, knock things down, kill rabbit kits, and we even had one that killed a full size chicken by latching on to it's head. I sent my akita after that one when we couldn't trap it and it wouldn't leave.

I did have a nice tom at my mom's farm. He did pee in the house when he was little but after he decided he wanted to be an outdoor cat he did an excellent job of running off other cats and killing rodents. He only came in the house long enough to eat or warm up when the weather was bad or the rodent level was too low. He suffered heart failure a couple years ago after being squished by some gates while my stepdad was backing the trailer in to the building. That farm has been plagued by troublesome cats since. Both neighbors feed massive amounts of cheap kibble to all the strays/ferals and don't neuter anything.

I find that if you spend enough time with them, most animals will learn the rules.

I used to have cats, a dog, parakeets, cockatiels and mice that all interacted just fine with one another. My dog would herd the mice, the parakeet's favorite place was snuggled under the cat's "belly flap" when she sat (like a penguin chick!), and the cockatiels cleaned the dog's teeth.

We have the same rule here on our ranch- if you can't learn to respect the other animals, you get the boot!

Latest posts

Back