Maybe a little crazy... chia seeds?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea they are much like flaxseed but can be digested better without grinding. Sprouting is a little difficult because like flax they make a gel around the seeds when they get wet making them impossible to rinse without rinsing away the seed. I usually just soak chia or flax overnight and feed instead of sprouting completely. I just dumped a large container of whole chia seed in my chinchilla supplement mix because it's too hard to find rolled/cut flax here instead of whole which is questionable in digestibility or ground which settles out as a powder that doesn't get eaten.

Miss M":3h78rpw9 said:

I must have been looking in the wrong place... I did a search for "chia" and it didn't come up with anything. Thanks, I will read through this! :D <br /><br /> __________ Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:36 pm __________ <br /><br />
akane":3h78rpw9 said:
Yea they are much like flaxseed but can be digested better without grinding. Sprouting is a little difficult because like flax they make a gel around the seeds when they get wet making them impossible to rinse without rinsing away the seed. I usually just soak chia or flax overnight and feed instead of sprouting completely.

I have sprinkled flax on top of my fodder two days before i feed it so it gets "rinsed" about three or four times and when I go to feed I can actually see little roots coming off of it so I hope that is more digested than if it was dry. I may try that with a little chia seed too and see how it works. Sprout People website has a great tutorial about sprouting chia seeds. It doesn't seem too difficult just different, but can be done.

ek.blair":2fu7ma7h said:
Miss M":2fu7ma7h said:

I must have been looking in the wrong place... I did a search for "chia" and it didn't come up with anything. Thanks, I will read through this! :D
You're welcome! :) The search function here is a little different since the move... I don't what you did (might you perhaps have typed it into the chatbox?), but you can find the search function in the right sidebar of every page.

Just click "Search", and it will expand for you. You can type in some keywords and search directly from there, or select any of the other options available. :p

Latest posts

Back