may be useful to someone else in the future...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SterlingSatin

Reaction score
i had a doe that pulled out one of her top teeth over a month ago. don't know how she managed to just mess up one since she had a good bite. no malocclusion and nothing that would get her kicked out of a show. i thought she pulled it all the way out (not just snapped it off at gum line) because i could feel NO root in her gum. but she was managing to eat her full cup of food with one top tooth and both bottom teeth, and in addition she was a nicely typed doe, so i put off culling her. even though all my breeder friends said it wouldn't grow back. a couple weeks later, the tooth re-emerged and now its 3/4 of the way in. growing in straight too, so i think she'll be showable still. and i haven't had to trim that corresponding bottom tooth; it hasn't overgrown even in the absence of the upper to wear it down. i think this is due to the fact that she's had lots of things to chew on. this is the second time this doe has had a lucky break :) at 3 days old her mom got nervous and tore through her nestbox, wreaking havoc with her sharp toenails. this kit got the brunt of it, suffering a good inch a half gash across her shoulders, where the skin was literally hanging off her and muscle exposed. i thought for sure she wasn't going to make it, but superglue saved the day...
point being, if your rabbit pulls a tooth, there is hope. give it a week or two if it is still eating and drinking normally.

Great news! I know another member had a rabbit that broke a tooth recently- hopefully they will see this thread.

Just some FYI you might find interesting , rabbits have 28 teeth, so as long as she can get her feed into her little mouth she has waaaay more teeth inside there to grind it with, so don't worry bout her ability to Chomp !!! lol Glad she is doing well !!!!

Im suprized ppl told you to put her down. They have a ton of teeth and they grow to bad are teeth did not do that.

fishdip":2e0f7tgw said:
Im suprized ppl told you to put her down. They have a ton of teeth and they grow to bad are teeth did not do that.
not sure i quite caught that last part... they were encouraging me to get rid of her because had the top tooth not grown back in, teh bottom tooth would probably have overgrown (without a top tooth to wear against) and would require trimming/clipping, etc, which is a bit dangerous, as well as destroys her show career. should the top tooth not have come back in i would have culled her. too afraid that i might split the bottom tooth trimming it and cause an infection in the gum, or something equally bad.

My son's buck is the one who broke his tooth. He is eating and doing well. He is the buck in the dead rabbit picture I posted. I have not noticed any problems. Good to know to give a rabbit a chance if it loses a tooth.

Latest posts

Back