Mastitis?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammysue63

Reaction score
We have a doe with a litter of 9, 3 week old kits. When I was doing my check I noticed, although it was pretty obvious since we have all NZW's that the kits were all over the doe trying to feed and 4 of her teats were bleeding. I immediately removed her. I gave her an hour and then checked her teats, there was no milk there at all, she had cleaned herself up and there didn't appear to be any swelling or sores of any kind.
Could this be mastitis or is there any such thing as a doe that just stops milking early.
This is a new one to me, we have never had that happen before.
This is her 4th litter, the first 3 litters she weaned 9, 7, and 12 in that order and has never had any problems.
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Mastitis would show caked, hardened nipples or signs of infection, wouldn't it? It sounds to me as though her milk dried up and the kits are desperate. Is she pregnant?

Kitchen oatmeal soaked in goats milk or even warm water will ease their transition to solid foods, along with hay, pellets or whatever you have been feeding momma. Make sure they have a crock of water in case they have not yet mastered the water bottle. Dehydration at this stage would be dangerous.

Thank you Maggie, I have never seen Mastitis but it didn't sound like anything I had read about.

We have another doe that is a very experienced mother but her litter sizes have gone down considerably. On sunday she had a litter of 1 kit, I quess you can call that a litter, anyway I fostered that kit onto a doe with a litter of 8 and put her in with the 3 week old litter.

I checked on them about an hour ago, she had pulled more fur from around her teats and the kits were quite content in the box which I may leave in for an extra day or so, so they have a chance to get used to the transition.
Everybunny seems very content, so I have my fingers crossed.

I always have oatmeal on hand so that is a good thing, and this might be a good time to talk hubby into a goat :mrgreen:

Is it common for their milk to dry up early?

I don't know how common it is, Sammysue. In a colony kits are often weaned between 3 and 4 weeks if the doe gets pregnant again right away. They seem to do just fine on solid foods by that point. I had a "lonely only" kit last winter that we brought into the house because of a disruption in the colony. It was only 17 days old, but it did just fine being weaned onto the oatmeal mush, hay and greens even at that tender age.

That's good to know I always worry when they are so young.<br /><br />__________ Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:56 pm __________<br /><br />Just an update.
Everybunny is doing fine, we removed the nest box and they all snuggle around their foster mother like nothing has happen.
Foster mom seems quite content and it looks like she is feeding them, at least it doesn't look like any of them are starving.
The doe we removed is doing great, in fact you wouldn't think anything had happened.
All is good. :)

If it were mastitis it would not be flat, empty areas. Mastitis is an infection which will clog the milk ducts and create it's own swelling. You'll feel a harder than should be lump, redness beyond just kits attempting to nurse and making the nipple red, too much heat, or the swelling will run off in some weird direction instead of being a ball of milk under the teat. Overall you'll have a very lumpy rabbit. Within 1-3 days depending on severity the doe usually goes off feed and then or shortly after spikes a fever.

:lol: I was wondering if that might cross her mind.

We were thinking of retiring Nikki (foster mom) but she has definitely earned another round.

We are also very thankful that Patsy (mom on vacation) just decided to take some time off and it wasn't anything more serious.

I wonder if this is something that can be passed on to her babies and is it something that could happen again with her or is it just one of those things bunnies like to throw at you to keep you on your toes. :slap:

akane: By the sounds of it, mastitis is something that is pretty obvious when they have it. Thank you for the information, now I will know what to look for and maybe I won't be quite so quick to panic.:)

Latest posts

Back