Massive litter for a Netherland Dwarf

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GetYourGoat

Reaction score
My Netherland Dwarf doe kindled seven kits this morning! All of them are alive and look well, from what I can tell there is only one that looks a little smaller than the others, but it's still not a massive difference. Apparently this is the doe's second litter and she was a good mum first time around. I was seriously doubting that she would have any at all as it was a few days past her due date and she still had no interest in the nest box, just complained about her being fat instead (already a big ND at 2.7lbs). Caught her kindling this morning with the nest box full of fur (she proceeded to put more in afterwards too).

I don't have any other litters to foster to and I'm wondering if a litter this big is too large to keep together for a ND momma? I don't want any to miss out on feeding. Should I be separating them and putting one box in the morning, one at night? They're all inside the house so I don't need to worry about any freezing (up North in Vancouver BC, still feels like winter during the nights).

:clap2: :clap: :bow:

Seven Kits?!?!?!?!?!?!

Holy cow, I would give that mama a huge heaping pile of greens!!!!

I wish my does were producing like that, dang. Maybe I should come and steal that mama from you... :mrgreen:

My 3 lb 2 oz Netherland regularly has litters of 7 (and my Mini Lop just had 9 :mrgreen: )and feeds them without problems.

BUT

I had a 9 pound AmChin who had trouble feeding 6 kits :D so it really depends on the quantity and quality of the does milk.

I'd watch the litter and the does condition closely for the first few weeks to see how she and the kits are doing or if it is too much for her and she is getting skinny or there are obvious runts who aren't getting their fair share.

Latest posts

Back