Mason Jar lid question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayna

Reaction score
I have a question for you all. :)

I've been selling raw goats milk in quart jars. Currently I'm using those metal ring lids. I don't want to risk using the plastic ones and not having them be returned.

Does anyone know of a cheap 1 piece option? I have a "jar deposit" if they don't do an exchange, but so far everyone has just brought a quart jar to me when buying milk!

The lids seem to be the issue. They do not need to be canning safe as I'm just putting the milk in the fridge.

And while we're on the topic of milk and canning, do you know if you can can milk? Seems like it would cook the heck out of it but I'm curious as I'm getting over a half gallon a day and my family doesn't actually drink milk. We just enjoy the cheese. Even with sales, I'm filling up my freezer with milk! lol

I have canned Goat milk in the past. I used Hot water bath but it's recommended that you use a pressure canner. Here is a article that will help you.
http://hoeggerfarmyard.com/canning-milk/

As for lids you can always use double layer of Saran wrap secured with a rubber band. I've done that in the past and it worked great.

I made cheese with my extra milk, - and when I sold it in [1/2 gal wide mouth jars], -- the price reflected the lost lid, -- because ,even when they returned the lid-- some must have used a screwdriver to open it, as it was ruined.

I'm excited to can some milk! I bought a freezer and it was delivered yesterday (7 cubic feet) but I'm planning on filling it up with chickens and sheep and rabbits.

I wonder if I can still make cheese from canned milk?

On the lids, I do that for myself, just looking for a cheap option for my "for sale" milk. <br /><br /> __________ Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:35 am __________ <br /><br />
michaels4gardens":mf0qxanu said:
I made cheese with my extra milk, - and when I sold it in [1/2 gal wide mouth jars], -- the price reflected the lost lid, -- because ,even when they returned the lid-- some must have used a screwdriver to open it, as it was ruined.

I do make (and sell) a lot of cheese.

But I'm getting so much milk per day that my freezer is filling up. lol

Fillmore Container sells a variety of one-piece lids. This is just one of them that might work for you: (http://www.fillmorecontainer.com/G70-CT ... -P269.aspx) They ain't exactly cheap, in quantity, but certainly easier to use than the two piece ones, and there's less for folks to lose. And I think they come out cheaper than the two piece ones, maybe.

Also, don't give 'em their jar deposit/discount if they don't bring the lid! The lid's part of the deal.

SB

I'm getting ready to try canning some milk in my pressure cooker.

Since it is 15 pounds of pressure ( I have no idea what that actually means) but doesn't have the guage just a knob that wiggles when the steam builds up, how long do you think I should let the milk sit in there when it's wiggling? When should I turn the heat off? LOL

I'm going to go put it on now so hopefully I hear back soon, otherwise I'll just let it "cook" for a while like I'm doing a water bath, and turn it off and hope for the best! <br /><br /> __________ Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:35 am __________ <br /><br /> ugh how do I make the jars not touch each other? I put metal rings in the bottom and the jars just fall over. SIGH UGH

You can put extra jars in the canner for spacers.
Just plain water in them. That will let the other ones stay upright.
Do you have some kind of round metal trivet ?
What you are looking for on the bottom of your canner is to let
the water circulate around the bottom of the jars. You do not
want the jar bottoms in direct contact with the bottom of your pan.

Do a google search for
how to pressure can milk
That will give you the pressure to use and the minutes needed. <br /><br /> __________ Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:00 pm __________ <br /><br /> Here is a nice page to check out.
http://tengrits.livejournal.com/11007.html

Many years ago, in the days of twice weekly milk delivery, milk came in bottles sealed with a paper/foil cap. Can you use plastic wrap and rubber band it? it would provide an airtight seal.

Back