Martin Plain Rabbit Pellets

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breezewind

Reaction score
Hi All

How is "Martin Plain Rabbit Pellets" for the rabbits. local here is about $26+tax per 50lb bag.

Do people have experience with it? and how was it?

thanks

Breeze

Kind of odd ingredient list. Personally I don't like the corn gluten. The fat is a little high. Not a lot and it does say to feed with hay which has no fat so it would balance better. Not sure I'd use it in a pellet only diet.

Thanks for your input akane

That is very helpful. I will be watch out for corn ingredient next time when I buy.

Now I am paying about 20+tax for 10lb bag.

I just wonder what do other people feed their bunnies? Now I have two, soon will be seven (+5 baby bunnies). I think that is going to be a bit expensive to keep them.

Any suguests of a quality but cheaper feed? that will be much appreciated.

Thanks

I am going to agree that those pellets do not have a nice enough ingredient list to justify that price.

The availability of pellets really depends on your area. I still haven't found one that I can purchase locally that meets my standards. I've settled on Purina for now, $16.00 for 50 lbs from TSC, but I've seen others mention that purina pellets sold in other areas sometimes contain animal fat. :x

There is no perfect pellet. They have all had some quality control issue somewhere. Popular ones are manna pro series, purina, nutrena, kent, and penpals. Your local mill has some impact on the quality. A lot of people find tons of corn in their manna pro when we have never found a single piece. Mills like to flush the system with corn if the design can't handle what they are running through it. Several people have had issues with kent but we never had. We've used nutrena occasionally also without issues. Maybe it's just our local ingredient sources and mills. Some have gone to local only pellets that don't have an impressive ingredients list but had more luck with quality control. Many of these cheap local pellets don't have a useful ingredients list. They use vague names and all inclusive terms to allow them to basically throw in whatever they can get cheaply and in good condition at that time of the year so long as it keeps the nutrition breakdown the same.

Everything has positive and negative points and some controversy around it. Mainly you need to find something consistent in your area that your rabbits can survive on and then just keep breeding the ones that do well. Eventually they will be bred to thrive on your pellet.

Latest posts

Back