marking litters without tattooing

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using a black Sharpie pen to mark the inside of the ear of kits before tattooing, but noticed in this recent litter that the marked ear is "flopping down" at the tip. Could the solvents in the Sharpie pen have caused this, e.g. some tissue damage or circulatory damage? Maybe it is coincidence. This is a litter of 3 surviving kits ... therefore not exactly a "scientific observation". Nonetheless, I am concerned.

I see the "floppy ear" in young rabbits when it is hot. Sometimes it is one ear and sometimes it is both.

I use a Sharpie to make my "template" as well, and have only had floppy ears in the summer months, never in the cooler periods of the year.

MamaSheepdog":lzy2n3ew said:
I see the "floppy ear" in young rabbits when it is hot. Sometimes it is one ear and sometimes it is both.

I use a Sharpie to make my "template" as well, and have only had floppy ears in the summer months, never in the cooler periods of the year.

That is good to know. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back