Marking Kits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DitchDoc

Reaction score
Does anyone here mark their kits to keep tabs on weight, etc, or to know who's is who's (for future statistics) if they're fostered? If so, what do you use?

I have marked kits with neon orange enamel paint before. :p On top of the head.

You can use nail polish, or Sharpie in the ear.

You will have to refresh any of the above occasionally.

A dot or two in the ear with a Tattoo pen
using India Ink. [Usually done for foster kits of the same color.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I wonder if a dab of beet root juice on the head would work- it stains things but would be non toxic. Might get licked off though. I was thinking of trying it next time to mark the girls.

Me too on the sharpies, it came off very easily and lost track of my fosters who were being raised by their G. mother. Sharpies don't work if the mother is a clean freak! :lol:
Glad to see more options here! :)

You know what would probably work- the outer husks from a walnut- not the shell but the fleshy outer part they have when they fall off a tree. If you've ever gotten it on your fingers- they turn black and it won't wash off. Also, maybe one of those Hair dye touch up pens for touching up gray roots when your hair grows out. Might be toxic but I can't see it being more toxic than perminant markers like sharpies.

MaggieJ":alziy3y0 said:
I was thinking a bingo dauber might work very well... but don't know if the ink is non-toxic or not.
That's a smart idea! I wonder if the dye/ink that abattoirs use to stamp carcasses would work? Since it's safe for us and animals to ingest.

Some great ideas from everyone, thank you for the responses! Looks like Sharpies aren't going to be my weapon of choice :p

Take a sheet-rock screw and grind a very fine point on it.

Place a small puncture in the upper part of a youngster's ear.

A small dab of tattoo ink rubbed into the puncture will mark the kit.

Once grown...it's barely noticeable.

grumpy.

^^Thats a great idea! I only mark fosters if I know one might be a keeper. Thankfully this last litter I had to add fosters to, none are keepers. Both does are being kept till next year so might as well eat them all.

Latest posts

Back