Mama-to-be is digging... Good sign?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtower

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I have two bred Florida White does. Both were bred on June 8. According to the calendar on GlobalPedigree.com, today was the day to install nest boxes.

Last night, as I was cleaning cages and feeding, one of the bred does immediately began to "dig" vigorously in her timothy hay just as soon as I put it in her cage. I've read that is one of the earlier behaviors prior to kindling.

This morning I put the nest box in her cage, filled about halfway with oat hay. Figured with the hot weather, she probably didn't need the box completely filled with hay. (Right? Wrong?... Suggestions?)

Anyway, after a few minutes, she hopped into the (1/2" x 1" wire) nest box and started digging. She dug down to the wire bottom, then started pushing hay to either side with her mouth. (Just realized I forgot to put a liner in the bottom so going out to do that as soon as I post this!)

It's been about 30 years since I last had rabbits so I'm sure I've forgotten a lot of the things I saw the NZWs do. But I'm thinking this looks pretty good.

I'm headed into town today and going to pick up some parsley. Read in other posts that it's good to give her a bit of that post-kindling to help her release her milk. (Is that correct? And how much is "enough" but not "too much"?)

What else should I have on hand, just in case?

Thanks!

My two first time mom does did a lot of digging in the week or so prior to kindling

Since I bought these as senior bred does (both are right around 1 year old) I'm not certain whether this is the first litter for either of them, or not.

How did your first-timers do with their kits?

The digging and pushing the hay into the corners is perfect nesting behavior, a couple of my does will build a tunnel...You will see some pretty interesting construction going on. I put the nest box on top of a cardboard panel instead of a liner, for me it is easier to change out when the little guys start to pee pretty heavily., Give her lots of hay or straw to fill in and rearrange to her liking.
The rule of thumb around here is to not expect perfection with a first timer...But most of the time they do just fine.I remember my hubby marveling at the birth of our first litters,it was so endearing..he still says he just can't get over how "they just know what to do".... Some members have lost litters,( The only litter I lost was a fluke, I was stupid and didn't think she had took, after the summer sterility break..) some have had a doa or two...Mom usually takes care of the doa's before you ever see them...but if not don't freak out when you see her eating one....Oh and take out any soiled nesting material. The show should get on the way as soon as fur is pulled, but not always...they like to keep you guessing.
If your bun doesn't get greens then only start with a couple of sprigs,,a few if she is big. If she gets green stuff all the time then a handful won't hurt. I star ta couple of days before her due date and continue for three days post kindle...just works for me..but you can give it as long as you want it is very good for her.
Most important...rabbits do not interact much with the babies,not like cats or dogs, they feed once or twice a day, usually dawn and dusk then they go do their own thing.. They do not want to attract predators...everything eats rabbits and babies are especially vulnerable.

Best wishes and congratulations on the new litters...You are starting a wonderful journey and you picked a great rabbit family here on R.T. to travel with..Glad to have you!!!! :D

rtower":1ab61999 said:
Since I bought these as senior bred does (both are right around 1 year old) I'm not certain whether this is the first litter for either of them, or not.

How did your first-timers do with their kits?

I have never ever had a first time doe fail.

But, I have a theory that does who are bred for the first time later in life have a higher incidence of losing then first litter then younger does. Fat buildup around reproductive organs might be a contributing factor.

It's definitely not always the case.
I even had a one year old first timer who did awesome.

My thoughts are...your yearling florida whites have likely been bred before. I know I wouldn't keep a meat breed doe for a year without asking for at least a couple litters.

:good-luck:

katiebear, Thanks for all good information. I haven't been feeding greens so I'll go a bit easy on the parsley. Probably give her a taste tomorrow morning. Thanks for the encouragement!

Zass, Neither of these does looked at all heavy when I first got them. They had only been bred a few days prior. And, based on what I've read in other posts, running my hand down their backs they didn't feel overweight. Hoping all goes well.

I have two bred Florida White does. Both were bred on June 8. According to the calendar on GlobalPedigree.com, today was the day to install nest boxes.

Once you've witnessed each does' personality, you learn
just how "different" each one is. Some does won't touch a straw in
in their box until just prior to kindling. Others, will trash it. LOL.

Last night, as I was cleaning cages and feeding, one of the bred does immediately began to "dig" vigorously in her timothy hay just as soon as I put it in her cage. I've read that is one of the earlier behaviors prior to kindling.

Correct.... "IF" the doe exhibits this behavior earlier in their
gestation cycle...it usually means they're "false-pregnant".

This morning I put the nest box in her cage, filled about halfway with oat hay. Figured with the hot weather, she probably didn't need the box completely filled with hay. (Right? Wrong?... Suggestions?)

Nesting material is cheap. I always overload the nestbox a bit to
give the doe something to mess with. I use wheat straw for my
rabbitry as it is very common in my area and costs less than $4.00
per bale. I'll go through 12-15 bales of straw a year.

Anyway, after a few minutes, she hopped into the (1/2" x 1" wire) nest box and started digging. She dug down to the wire bottom, then started pushing hay to either side with her mouth. (Just realized I forgot to put a liner in the bottom so going out to do that as soon as I post this!)

It's been about 30 years since I last had rabbits so I'm sure I've forgotten a lot of the things I saw the NZWs do. But I'm thinking this looks pretty good.

It'll all start coming back to you... kinda like ridin' a bike.

I'm headed into town today and going to pick up some parsley. Read in other posts that it's good to give her a bit of that post-kindling to help her release her milk. (Is that correct? And how much is "enough" but not "too much"?)

Here's where I differ from a lot of folks. "IF" a doe's a good doe, she
needs little, if any, assistance. The most important "thing" you can give
her...............is peace and quiet. Go about your normal duties and
basically ignore the doe that's getting ready to kindle. If she's used to
you, she'll pay you no never-mind and go about her business of
kindling. Continually "taking-a-peek" only disturbs her and could
quite possibly cause her to make a MESS of her first attempt. It's
a hard thing to do, but it's probably the most important thing that
you can do. Leave her alone.

What else should I have on hand, just in case?

A butt-load of patience. Good luck.
Grumpy.

Thanks for your input Grumpy!

Patience... Not my strong suit!!!

But I have followed your advice and only entered the rabbitry for regular morning and evening feedings. Provided plenty of hay for the nest boxes.

One doe would almost immediately jump into the nestbox and tunnel under the extra hay. By the time for the next feeding, she's had it down to about 2/3 full.

This evening she is pulling fur! Guessing we'll have kits sometime tonight or tomorrow morning.

The other doe has been in her nest box a few times but no where near as active as the one that pulling fur. Of course, I don't know what she does when I'm not there but not much sign of activity in her nest box yet

Anyway, sure appreciate you sharing your wisdom and experience!

Back