Making your own feed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
So I looked at the list of ingredients on the rip off tab attached to my feed bag and read over it.. It had things like molasses, vitamins, greens, etc. Now I was thinking well.. I mean most of this stuff in here is too one preserve it and two make it into the shape it and 3 make it taste good. It's very easy to get all the vitamins and if I can start growing fodder then that's part of their daily greens and I want to try to start growing a rose bush or two and maybe a few other bunny safe plants. I would probably do a mix of vitamin powders with oats and molasses. I'm not sure if this would work or if I need to add more too it but it sounded like something fun to do and if it worked might be a way to save money on rabbit pellets.. If you guys can help me figure out what else I would need to add to make it work I'll go add up the prices and let everyone know how it all adds up. *They would also still be getting grassy hay on a daily basis.*

You can mix up a mineral block sort of thing and offer it free choice. I don't think I'd mix it with the feed though for fear they would eat to much or to little.

This is what I would do, I haven't tried it yet but I've done quite a bit of research towards it.

Offer free choice, a variety of safe greens and a free choice trace mineral block of some sort. In addition, feed a mix of grains such as oats, sunflower, barley, etc. but don't feed the grains free choice. Ration it as you would pellets, with nursing or growing rabbits getting more. You might want to read through this thread for more info on a natural grain mix post300999.html?hilit=grain%20mix#p300999 Other grains you could consider are field peas and soybean although almost all the soybean is going to be GM.
On top of this I think I would offer a free choice grass hay. In the winter, you could switch to alfalfa and just it instead of the greens + hay.

It's a good idea to read up on rabbit nutrition and at least get a vague idea of what to work towards. Here are a couple of resources. The first I believe was first recommended by michaels4gardens and It's a really great little book.

Keeping Poultry And Rabbits On Scraps

The second is a rather thick heavy book but it's useful if you want to get more into the rabbit nutrition.

Rabbit Feeding and Nutrition (Animal Feeding and Nutrition)

And then don't forget http://feedipedia.org/ which if free.

Back