Maiden doe not lifting

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Albert

Reaction score
We did our first breeding yesterday with some success. One of our does Pixie was brilliant and we had 5 fall offs over two matings. Our other doe Fifi let's our buck lay on top of her but she won't lift and we had no fall offs.

We tried again today with Fifi and she was more relaxed but still no fall offs. We've swapped their cages for today to see if that helps tomorrow. Should we keep trying daily or give her a break of a few days?

Our buck Cheddar is new to this too but seems to be doing ok. He does seem to get a bit bored and wander off after a couple of failed attempts though.

And it's all happening in a neutral territory run on grass if that makes a difference? Even then we put the buck in first and bring the doe to him.

Thanks

I am new to rabbit terms. I love your term "maiden" makes me think she has a little straw hat and white gloves. (Last time I raised rabbits, I was extremely remote and the internet wasn't invented.)

I had the same problem with a maiden rabbit, actually, she was worse, she cried the whole time. I gave her another month and she lifted just fine then next time I tried. Maybe she's just not ready. They can't read a calendar :)

- Liz

Last edited:
We did our first breeding yesterday with some success. One of our does Pixie was brilliant and we had 5 fall offs over two matings. Our other doe Fifi let's our buck lay on top of her but she won't lift and we had no fall offs.

We tried again today with Fifi and she was more relaxed but still no fall offs. We've swapped their cages for today to see if that helps tomorrow. Should we keep trying daily or give her a break of a few days?

Our buck Cheddar is new to this too but seems to be doing ok. He does seem to get a bit bored and wander off after a couple of failed attempts though.

And it's all happening in a neutral territory run on grass if that makes a difference? Even then we put the buck in first and bring the doe to him.

Thanks

Did you have any success today? You can keep trying every day until she breeds, or you can wait a couple days and try again, too. It is up to you. You can also check the color of her vulva to see if she is ready. Generally, lighter pink means she isn't ready; a darker pink or red means she should be; and more purple means she is quite likely to breed. Sometimes it can be challenging to get a doe to breed and you just have to try different things to get it done. Are they both the same age/weight?

Did you have any success today? You can keep trying every day until she breeds, or you can wait a couple days and try again, too. It is up to you. You can also check the color of her vulva to see if she is ready. Generally, lighter pink means she isn't ready; a darker pink or red means she should be; and more purple means she is quite likely to breed. Sometimes it can be challenging to get a doe to breed and you just have to try different things to get it done. Are they both the same age/weight?
Another blank today unfortunately. She doesn't seem at all stressed, in fact we thought we'd give them a good hour under our supervision and they both laid out and went to sleep with just one failed attempt without a fall off. We checked the colour of her vulva afterwards and it was light pink so I think we need to wait a while. Both of our girls are just over 9 months which we thought was a decent age for a Cali to start? He's a bit more mature at 15 months old.

If I was being brutally honest I'd say he's a little on the heavy side because he doesn't seem too bothered about chasing her. Since they are very relaxed with each other we are going to give them tomorrow off and then take her straight to his cage. We've used a neutral space up until now because I was concerned it would be tricky breaking them up due to the design of their individual tractors.

If anything I'd describe their behaviour as more like what I've read about bonding with lots of gentle play, sniffing and grooming and then a good snooze afterwards.

bunnies.jpg

Yeah, being too young shouldn't be the issue, then. He probably knows she isn't ready and just wants to hang out.

Sounds like you have a good plan to me. Maybe it will just take a few days for her to be ready...

Yeah, being too young shouldn't be the issue, then. He probably knows she isn't ready and just wants to hang out.

Sounds like you have a good plan to me. Maybe it will just take a few days for her to be ready...
I'm not too fussed it's just that I would have liked to run the two litters together for finishing after they have fully weaned.

My "plan" was wean each litter at between 7 and 8 weeks. Then split them into males and females to finish them in groups in tractors. I was assuming that I could mix the two litters at this point without encountering fighting problems?

Oh you have Cali's? Well, my experience with Californians is that they are just too laid back and lovey to have immediate breedings. My last Cali buck would love and entertain the doe for days before he could convince her to lift. So, I had to make the risky decision to leave them together in his space for 48 to 72 hours. If I didn't there just weren't any litters.

I'm sure its not unique to Californians, and I'm sure that not every Cali is like this, but I've never had a Cali buck that was anything but a complete gentleman, much to my chagrin.

Oh you have Cali's? Well, my experience with Californians is that they are just too laid back and lovey to have immediate breedings. My last Cali buck would love and entertain the doe for days before he could convince her to lift. So, I had to make the risky decision to leave them together in his space for 48 to 72 hours. If I didn't there just weren't any litters.

I'm sure its not unique to Californians, and I'm sure that not every Cali is like this, but I've never had a Cali buck that was anything but a complete gentleman, much to my chagrin.
Thank you for the response. Now I'm really torn, we would have liked them to have litters simultaneously but I don't think I'm brave enough to leave them unsupervised.

We tried again yesterday in his run and it was more of the same. On the upside I'd rather have this behaviour than having to dive in a break up a nasty fight. If anything it's made me happier about choosing Cali's for our foundation trio so thank you.

I had a doe that just would not lift recently. She was grumpy about it too. This morning I reached in to pet her when I was feeding and she lifted as soon as my hand touched her back. In to the buck she went, and it went swimmingly. Spring is coming, longer days probably help.

I had a doe that just would not lift recently. She was grumpy about it too. This morning I reached in to pet her when I was feeding and she lifted as soon as my hand touched her back. In to the buck she went, and it went swimmingly. Spring is coming, longer days probably help.
Well it's day 9 of trying and still no dice. They'll spend literally hours together chilling out which has become quite endearing really. Those longer days can't come quick enough ☺️

I have been trying to get two does bred as well for the last six days. I started giving them a few drops of Wheat Germ Oil on some oats daily for the past four to try to help if it a nutritional thing. Rabbits can be challenging, for sure!

I had the same problem. I watched a video that said apple cider vinegar in the water works.
I put a splash in her bottle,and the next day she lifted for the buck right away.
I had been trying for days before that with no luck. Not sure if it was the acv, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

I thought I would post the follow-up threads for this thread for anyone reading through them later, where both @Albert and I got does bred and had interesting things going on with them. The first two are Albert's and the last one is mine. It is challenging trying to get rabbits bred sometimes! @bigrockfarm Thanks for posting about the ACV, as well!

https://rabbittalk.com/threads/is-one-fall-off-enough.34678/
https://rabbittalk.com/threads/pulling-fur-really-early.34693/
https://rabbittalk.com/threads/light-does-intensity-matter-for-breeding-success.34646/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back