Luna's Blog

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Dutchess

Reaction score
I am making a little blog of Luna's rehabilitation journey.

Day 1: Trimmed nails, cleaned matted backside, an worked on her personality. She was quite obliging once bribed with dandelions, which she even ate out of my hand.

Since no one can read everything posted on RT, perhaps you could give us a little of Luna's background and why she needs rehabilitation. It sounds like an interesting process to document but I am embarrassed to confess I have no idea who Luna is. :oops:

MaggieJ":1eq8bns3 said:
Since no one can read everything posted on RT, perhaps you could give us a little of Luna's background and why she needs rehabilitation. It sounds like an interesting process to document but I am embarrassed to confess I have no idea who Luna is. :oops:

The tale of Luna's odyssey: what-am-i-supposed-to-do-with-this-doe-t21024.html

Glad you've made progress with her, Dutchess! :)

Yeah, she's doing great. When I picked her up she scratched a bit but when she realized I wasn't going to eat her or drop her she was okay. I am really happy with her. :) And I'm happy that I've found her weakness - dandelions. She was so excited she charged over to where I was holding them and missed(it's a little hard for her to see with all that fur flapping when she's running), banging her head on the cage! And I think I read somewhere that dandelions can help treat/prevent wool block. Which, by the way, her feces are back to normal and I think she is cured of wool block. Maybe that's why she's nicer now, she doesn't have a big ball of fur in her stomach.

-re: "flesh eating rabbit"
if you are going to try to save her you should get started soon, urine scald, and matted poopy but is very painful to the rabbit, you need to feed her benebac [or some probiotic]every day, and clean her up, and apply ointment to keep the area from getting wet while she heals, -- put on a jacket with long sleves, [and gloves if you have to], get a hold on the rabbit by putting your hand on top of her shoulders and pushing her down on the floor firmly, then put one hand under her rump, the other hand on her chest behind her front legs, rock her back and pin her head between your bicep and your side , with the bicep side hand under her but, hold her firmly but do not crush her. then-- run warm water over the matted area, until the poop is soft and comes off easily, -- then take a blowdryer and dry her completely, then put salve on the raw areas [if you have nothing else bagbalm will work, or desitin

Re: What am I supposed to DO with this DOE!!!???

Post Number:#28 by michaels4gardens » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:00 pm

forget about everything but the Butt and probiotic right now, [you need no tools at all]-- if you have a sink, [ a dish squirter helps], it is all you need-- if you have no dish squirter nozel on your sink, just use warm water on the poopy part, - if you want to speed the process, add 1/2 tsp dish soap to 2 cups of water, put just a little on the poop to loosen it faster.-- but-- if you do use the dish soap, you need to rinse very well so there is no soap left on the rabbit, and-- never leave them wet after the butt bath, they must be blow-dried completely before you are done.[just rub the fur gently with your hand as it dries] - you can do this by your self , if you do it like I explained-if the rabbit squirms and tries to get away-- just take your free hand and put it on the chest below the front legs [she can't bite if you put your hand there]and push/ lay her backwards and clamp her head between your bicep and side.--- and-- it will be good practice for you to learn how and feel confident about your ability to take care of your rabbits problem properly.

so-- did you try the method I explained-- or another approach-- let us know how you did all of this-- and "good for you" you should feel a sense of accomplishment.

I was just going out to check on her and see how I should approach it, and it actually wasn't really that poopy, so I just took a warm rag to it and straightened out the matts, and she was fine. I don't have any ointment/salve, and she didn't have any sores and the area looked pretty clear to me, so do you still think she needs something? If so, I have some all natural aloe gel/cream stuff, would that work?

Ok Dood, I might have to do that when I get help. Presently her hind end is staying clear. And she's still being nice. I think with some work she'd make an ok pet, just not for a kid. She can't STAND little kids, dogs, cats etc. because she doesn't like noise and of course dogs and cats are predators.

I as going to get pictures today but by the time I found my camera it was raining. Tomorrow is busy, but I'll see what I can do. <br /><br /> __________ Sun May 04, 2014 4:08 pm __________ <br /><br /> I FINALLY got pics of Luna...

[album]2630[/album]

[album]2629[/album]

See thread What Color is Luna? if you know what color she is.

Back