Lump on English Lop ear

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckcs

Reaction score
I recently acquired an English Lop that was pedigreed but in rough shape. He is boney, has fur mats, chewed on ears and has a lump on the inside of one of his ears. It is pretty hard. There was a scab on it. I pulled the scab off to see if there was a noticeable hole. Not sure what it is or what I will do about it. Taking him to the vet is not a consideration due to costs. He didn't mind me picking at it so I'm thinking I could lance it but wanted to discuss this strategy first. I'm not familiar with lumps like this. Could it be a botfly?

:? Well that's odd looking :?

To me it looks more like scar tissue and personally I would leave it alone and see if it grows or shrinks in the next few days.

If it grows I would lance it and see what is inside - might be lymph fluid, puss or might be thick scar tissue

A bot fly must have an air whole opening and I've never seen one in an outer ear - they tend to like meatier areas with more food for themselves :x

I've seen this before when I used to raise Elops. It is likely caused by getting the ear caught on something (like an overgrown toenail, a nail, the edge of cut wire, etc.). If you feel it, it usually feels thick and solid as it heals from the inside out. I'd just keep it clean and leave any future scab on it until it falls off naturally. I wouldn't lance it unless it suddenly grows significantly in size or if it starts draining (not likely though). Kudos to you for taking the poor fellow in and giving him a better life! :)

Dood I thought too that they needed an airhole and meatier part but wasn't sure

HendricksHearth it is inside very solid. I'll leave it for now and see what happens. I'm happy he is having a better life now. He is in rough shape but man is he a sweetheart. He is the only bunny that I have that will snuggle. He'll lay on you for 30 minutes at a time and let you pet him.

Thank you both for the help

Latest posts

Back