Lost a doe - thoughts?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kotapony

Reaction score
Edit: I wrote this a few days ago but couldn't get to the computer to get it posted. So "yesterday" refers to the 15th. I debated rewriting but thought it would remain clearer as is. Everyone in the colony remains healthy as of this morning (the 20th).

I lost one of my does yesterday, and am curious as to what may have happened to her if anyone has any ideas. Some deaths aren't preventable, but if hers had been I'd like to learn from whatever mistakes I might have made. 

A quick summary of my situation. I started with two does and a buck. At 5 months old they all moved into a colony space together. 30 days later I had one nest of 11 kits. I never did know for sure if they all belonged to one doe (or which one if they did) or if it was a shared nest. All the kits made it and are now 5.5 weeks old. I returned the buck to the colony 3.5 weeks ago. 

Two days before the doe died I remember telling my husband I was pretty sure one doe was pregnant because she looked miserable (grumpy I think would have been a better word). I must have been projecting - I'm 7 months and grumpy myself. But all three adults were still moving around and coming to the feeders for their morning pellets so I didn't think much of it. The day after that she had a big pee stain along her face and down one side. Again, I didn't think too much of it with 11 older kits in there with her. I figured they were just piled and she didn't get out of the way fast enough. In hind sight, while she was still moving around then she was less inclined to do so. Then yesterday morning she made it over to the waterer and was sitting there stiff and kind of sunken into herself. That's when i finally realized something was seriously wrong. She'd rock back, her front feet off the ground just a bit, convulse for a second or two, then drop back down. She did that a couple times. At that point I picked her up to remove her from the colony. She didn't run and just flopped limp as I looked her over. Her eyes/nose were clear, no signs of swollen nipples. Her bum was a little dirty like maybe she'd been a bit runny but what was there was dry, not currently wet. I put her in a tub of her own on a bed of hay, added pellets and water, and left her. She scooted around a bit the rest of the morning but by the time I made it back over for the evening check she was dead - flopped on her back, rear legs splayed open, front together and twisted to the side (not necessarily violent in any way, just describing how she was laying). There was just a drop of blood around her bum. Our (hubby and I) best guess was either she died of some kind of infection or had trouble with kits. 

We went ahead and opened her up to see what we could find. To our eyes, all her organs looked healthy. We saw no obvious signs of infection. Most interesting to me was that she wasn't bred. The buck had been back with the does for 3.5 weeks - I'd have thought surely in that time she'd have taken. I caught my still living doe and she seems fine. Dry, clean bum, active, and while I'm terrible at palpating I'd say there's good odds she's bred. Also I should say everyone remaining in the colony still appears healthy so I don't think this was something contagious.

These rabbits are not pets - they're food. I enjoy them and want to do my best to care for them. So while I'm not mourning the doe, I am bummed at the loss of the effort I put into her to get to her production age. 

Clearly I misinterpreted signs of illness. So I did catch her being off a few days sooner, I was just too ignorant to realize and do anything about it. I've learned that part of my lesson the hard way. What I'd love to hear is if anyone has any ideas what might have happened to her and what steps I should have taken when I first noticed her acting differently.

It's always hard losing a rabbit and it's worse when you don't know why and start second guessing yourself. Hindsight may be 20/20 but I can't see that the early signs were anything that would have worried me. It seems, from the fact that she wasn't pregnant, that there was likely something going on with her for some time, but rabbits are very good at hiding an illness. I wish I had an answer for you, but really have no idea what the problem may have been. Maybe someone else will know,

I apologize for the delayed response, but I did want to thank you Maggie for your answer. I get to read the forum daily but it's from my phone. I seldom get time to sit down at the computer to get a message typed out.

I do feel a bit better believing there really wasn't anything I could have done for her. I know from dealing with the dairy herd it's really easier to find one dead than it is to find one down. Just a couple days ago we lost one of our dairy herd. She calved and prolapsed her uterus. Of course it was freezing cold and pouring rain. We did our best to treat her but even after messing with her all afternoon she still died on us. It never seems to fail - no matter how much effort we put in, we end up losing them anyway. We did save her heifer calf, though, so at least that's something.

Anyway, in good colony news everyone else is still fine and growing well. My original 11 are at about 3.5# at 7 weeks, so I'm happy with that. They should be perfect size for Christmas dinner, which was my original goal. I do plan to hold back 2 does to raise as replacements for the one I lost. I told my husband I need to start researching bunny sexing pictures to make sure I actually do keep two does, and he burst out laughing, telling me to be careful how I googled that one. :shock:

I also got a new litter of kits out of my remaining doe. 6 this time, but they're around 6 days old now and are doing great. I was hoping to be able to leave the buck in the colony and just let things roll, but around day 30 I noticed the buck trying to breed the poor doe like crazy - side, head, wherever he could climb aboard. It went on most of the day so I went ahead and pulled him - the poor doe was getting pretty aggravated. And sure enough, the next morning I had a nest of new kits. It might have worked in a bigger colony with more does to attract his attention, but no more space than I have and down to just the one doe he had to go. So poor guy gets to be by himself for a while. I need to come up with a better set up for him. Right now he's by himself where he can't see anybody else. I'm hoping to find a used cage or kennel of some sort I can put in the colony so at least he can visit with everyone else. Might just be me, but he seems lonely stuck by himself the way he is.

Well, time to get outside and get back to work. Just wanted to thank you again for the response. :)

Good to hear from you, Katie, and I'm glad things are going better with the rabbits. You might find this website helpful for sexing rabbits.
http://www.rudolphsrabbitranch.com/sexing.htm

And by the way, you hubby is right about what comes up when you google things like that. Years ago, as a newbie chicken owner, I was naive enough to google chick anatomy. Oh, my goodness! :oops:

i read through your description...and I haven't a clue as to what happened to your doe.

I'd guess an intestinal thing of some sort. But as long as the other rabbits are doing well, I'd put it as a one off. Mind you....if you have others that go off on you I'd think about cleanliness, food supply, and availability of water.

Up until you said that you did a necropsy of her, I would have said she sounds like what we lost Pepper to - infection from retained fetuses. I'm not sure though if she didn't have anything. She may have aborted and she and the other does cleaned up the mess though. Pepper did attempt to eat the fetuses and if she had, I wouldn't have known she passed them.

I am suprised because this happened to my doe Holly years ago.
I don't remember clearly as this took place 8 years ago. But she was my first breeding doe and i got her first litter, but i was still a child then.
So stupid as i was, i put her with a buck after she kindled to get a second litter.

The weeks passed, the kits were about 3 weeks old now and mom got ill.
One night, she had a big red stain around her bum, the next day i brought her to the vet.
I hated that man as i met him, he was very rough with Holly and looked uninteressed.
He palpated her and felt a blood clot, so i asked him if she was going to make it and he said no without caring, i broke down in tears.
He gave her some shot and we took her home.
Next afternoon, i came from home from school and went to check on her..
As i opened the hutch, she was laying on her side floundering, moving and kicking with all her paws and she stopped within seconds..
I took her in my arms and remember running around crying with her dieing in my arms..
There was also a small undeveloped fetus inside the hutch, back then i didn't know what it was.
But thinking back, she was struggling with the pregnancy of the second litter and she couldn't birth them.
The vet was probably feeling kits instead of a blood clot..

This is Holly
r8ig03.jpg

I kept back one of her kits and she turned in this beautiful lady, i got multiple of interesting litters out of her.
Hotots with blue eyes, broken blue's with blue eyes, vienna marked, selfs, torts and so on :)
fn9rep.jpg

Latest posts

Back