Lop Rabbits Forum?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susie570

Reaction score
Would anyone be interested in a forum specific to Lop rabbits?
I've found one, but it's only for UK based breeders and enthusiasts. I'm considering creating one for US breeders and enthusiasts.
I was considering different sections for the different breeds of Lop, and general discussion areas. I know that there are concerns that are specific to lop breeds and it would be good to have a centralized place to keep in touch with other breeders.

Thoughts?

What is funny is, i was actually thinking about starting one....
But if you want to do the work, go for it :D

Yeah, I already have unlimited web hosting that I pay for as a reseller every year, so I feel good about using the space. ;)

A domain name is cheap... around $13/yr (no biggie) I was thinking loprabbitsusa.com or something like that??

I can set it up easily with a wordpress forum... easy peasy. I think I found one that has lots of options.

Do you have any suggestions on how to set up the sections, or does this sound good so far?

I agree that there are certainly things that apply only to lops. Lop breeders would benefit from it. <br /><br /> __________ Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:49 am __________ <br /><br /> I agree that there are certainly things that apply only to lops. Lop breeders would benefit from it. We could do something similar to what we are doing on the lop group on Facebook. Try to help eachother to better the breed.

LopLover":16h6a655 said:
I agree that there are certainly things that apply only to lops. Lop breeders would benefit from it.

__________ Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:49 am __________

I agree that there are certainly things that apply only to lops. Lop breeders would benefit from it. We could do something similar to what we are doing on the lop group on Facebook. Try to help eachother to better the breed.

I think so. There could even be a section for "Mixed Breed Lops", so lop owners who don't have purebred rabbits could benefit, but I would want to be strict about posting non-purebreds in the purebred sections.

I think it would be important to have different sections for the different Lop breeds, because the breed standards are so different, from their body structure to their poses and health concerns.

If it's going to be a forum I suggest going with a dedicated forum software rather than wordpress. JMO. PHPBB and Vanilla forum are both good software and there are other out there.

alforddm":1toprv82 said:
If it's going to be a forum I suggest going with a dedicated forum software rather than wordpress. JMO. PHPBB and Vanilla forum are both good software and there are other out there.

I wondered about that, I haven't used a wordpress forum plugin yet, but I've used other forum software in the past.

I've also had issues with spammers and such, security holes and various annoyances with other forum softwares. The wordpress forum sounds like a good option, just not very familiar with it. What are your specific concerns?

Well, I just did a quick run through as it's been a bit since I really looked but it appears to be that the forum plugins integrate a "regular" forum software with wordpress. So, your bridging two different login systems. They are a pain to maintain as upgrading one system can break the integration not to mention the fact that if the maintainer stops maintaining the plugin you're out of luck. PHPBB has(had) some really good spam protection plugins back when I was integrating phpbb and drupal.

Edit: I just found bbpress it looks good and has good reviews. /shrug/ I guess it depends on what you want and are used to. Dedicated forum software may be better and being a forum ie have more functionality.

From spam protection on my drupal sites I use https://www.projecthoneypot.org/ and mollum. Works really great for spam posts although I still get spam registrations they aren't as big a deal.

I believe this site is done on phpbb.

alforddm":mpnbl3qg said:
Well, I just did a quick run through as it's been a bit since I really looked but it appears to be that the forum plugins integrate a "regular" forum software with wordpress. So, your bridging two different login systems. They are a pain to maintain as upgrading one system can break the integration not to mention the fact that if the maintainer stops maintaining the plugin you're out of luck. PHPBB has(had) some really good spam protection plugins back when I was integrating phpbb and drupal.

Edit: I just found bbpress it looks good and has good reviews. /shrug/ I guess it depends on what you want and are used to. Dedicated forum software may be better and being a forum ie have more functionality.

From spam protection on my drupal sites I use https://www.projecthoneypot.org/ and mollum. Works really great for spam posts although I still get spam registrations they aren't as big a deal.

I believe this site is done on phpbb.

Thanks :) Yeah, bbpress was the one I was looking at. Seems pretty nice.
I've worked with phpbb in the past... the admin aspects seemed more of a pain in the behind, but it was ok. I know there is a lot of customization you can do if you want to put the time into it, just thought I might try something different. :)

I would be really interested in visiting it:). I am new to rabbits but we only have lops so I care most about how things pertain to them:)

CanadianWinter":10ctly1y said:
Syberchick70":10ctly1y said:
I was thinking loprabbitsusa.com or something like that?

loprabbitsusa.com isn't fair to us north of the border, hehe ;) :lol: How about lopbreedersamerica.com, loptalk.com, lopbreeders.com?

:popcorn: I'm watching!

Doh!! Too late, I've already purchased the domain name.

A preliminary forum is up and running, I could use a few folks to test it out. I haven't tweaked around with the theme as of yet, so it's fairly plain looking, but I've created some sections and folks should be able to post. I'm not sure if I got the permissions right on the sections though. You should be able to post in any of the subcategories, but not the 'header' sections. :roll:

Anyway, if you're interested, give it a look http://loprabbitsusa.com

Syberchick70":14lbwga0 said:
CanadianWinter":14lbwga0 said:
Syberchick70":14lbwga0 said:
I was thinking loprabbitsusa.com or something like that?

loprabbitsusa.com isn't fair to us north of the border, hehe ;) :lol: How about lopbreedersamerica.com, loptalk.com, lopbreeders.com?

:popcorn: I'm watching!

Doh!! Too late, I've already purchased the domain name.

A preliminary forum is up and running, I could use a few folks to test it out. I haven't tweaked around with the theme as of yet, so it's fairly plain looking, but I've created some sections and folks should be able to post. I'm not sure if I got the permissions right on the sections though. You should be able to post in any of the subcategories, but not the 'header' sections. :roll:

Anyway, if you're interested, give it a look http://loprabbitsusa.com

Shoot, I wondering if I was too late :lol: Anyway, I like the forum sub areas! Hopefully it'll get interest once it's up and running :)

alforddm":15u5ddtd said:
It looks like you may have some permissions wrong somewhere. I registered but can't seem to find a "new topic" button.
Same thing here.

It's all ready to go! I'll work on making it prettier later.

I think I'll promote this fine forum there as RT is such a great resource!
:D

This made me laugh:

"Your Other Rabbits

A place to talk about those poor rabbits who can't seem to lop, as hard as they might try!"

:lol:

Miss M":1x039won said:
This made me laugh:

"Your Other Rabbits

A place to talk about those poor rabbits who can't seem to lop, as hard as they might try!"

:lol:

:D

I had a request for the section but I thought I would try to keep it in line with the theme. ;) <br /><br /> __________ Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:57 am __________ <br /><br /> I just wanted to say that the Lop forum is off to a good start!

We also have breed categories for lops that have not yet been recognised by the ARBA. Please come join us, if you haven't already! :)

Back