• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rabbit Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Looking To Possibly Buy: PLEASE READ

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayla@LWR

Reaction score
So I have Mini Rexs, Jersey Woolies, and (Blue) Americans.

I have been wanting English Lops for a while, because I fell in love with their cute big-long ears!

But I have also been thinking about American Chinchillas or Standard (I don't want any Giant).

BUT I do not want both breeds it's one or the other.

Any breeders near PA?

Any ideas on which I should choose? OR could you suggest a better breed?

For what purpose? Standard chin probably breed the best for show depending on your area and you might be able to market some for pets if you educate people beyond the dwarf craze that has hit the petstores. For meat american chin would be best and they may show well but they are less common than standards in many areas. Lops tend to sell well as pets but again people mostly go looking for the small breeds and need educated that the larger rabbits can make just as good and easy to care for pets aside from needing a little bigger cage. They may show well again depending on your area.

akane":1bnyvzft said:
For what purpose? Standard chin probably breed the best for show depending on your area and you might be able to market some for pets if you educate people beyond the dwarf craze that has hit the petstores. For meat american chin would be best and they may show well but they are less common than standards in many areas. Lops tend to sell well as pets but again people mostly go looking for the small breeds and need educated that the larger rabbits can make just as good and easy to care for pets aside from needing a little bigger cage. They may show well again depending on your area.

Showing and Breeding. The only way I would sell offspring for meat is if they haven't been sold and they are too "old". I intend to sell almost every kit my does produce :)

I live in Pennsylvania, and I know about the mini/dwarf craze, that is also why I decided to do Mini Rex, instead of Rex.

I'm not sure what is mostly shown in my state as I am still awaiting my turn to enter a show with a friend of mine.

Probably a lot of lops and lion heads! :)

I am prejudiced, but English lops are my favorite. They are clownish, happy, friendly and generally have a wonderful personality. They don't take any more, or different care, than any other rabbit, short of keeping their toenails trimmed to avoid ear punctures, they just need a larger cage.
My Mama does are in a 24 x 36, so larger is relative. For some this would be a huge cage, for others it would seem too small. I am in the process of making some brood cages which are 24 x 48, but these would be for permanent brood Mama's only.

I also have Giant Chinchilla's. The standard has a maximum weight of 15 lbs, so really, not very giant IMO. Mine are young and haven't shown or bred yet, but they have a laid back, very gentle nature.

I will be attending both the English Lop nationals in Kansas in April, and the ARBA National Convention on November, and will have plenty of English lops for sale, including tri colors and harlequins. PM or email me if you are able to attend either show and are interested in sale animals.

I vote English Lops if you can find them. Elops and Vlops were my 1st choice when I decided to add a new breed to our rabbitry. Unfortunately I could never find breeders that had available rabbits. I'd seen a lot of breeders with dozens of Elops in their heard but they never any litters for sale. Sometimes I'd find a doe or buck for sale but never enough available to get a trio. I live in VA and did manage to find someone in upstate New York that had some for sale a while back. No way I could make the 400-500 mile drive. I decided to stop looking for now when a trio of French Angoras popped up 25 miles from me. FA where my #2 desired rabbit.

I will someday have Elops and Vlops but know I will have to go to great lengths to get them. Feels like a secret society to me lol. I imagine I'll be blindfolded and some mystery person will drive me to pick up the rabbits. No doubt a special knock will have to be used to get into the barn.

ckcs":2jx60ozl said:
I will someday have Elops and Vlops but know I will have to go to great lengths to get them. Feels like a secret society to me lol. I imagine I'll be blindfolded and some mystery person will drive me to pick up the rabbits. No doubt a special knock will have to be used to get into the barn.

If only you lived in CA. That's where one of the backup COD holders for V. Lops lives, and I have actually gotten a rabbit from her. Man, he is a card. Whenever we put him out to roam around our yard, we'll leave the door open so he can hop back in and check up on us. He's hilarious.

Back