Looking for meat rabbits is hard in Ireland

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking to get meat rabbits in Ireland but its really blimmin difficult. The nzw breeder I saw like 3 years ago has disappeared. I'm looking into getting standard rex and it looks like I'm going to have to import some. Anyone in Europe able to help after covid? Any meat breed rabbits or mixes that are regularly bred is fine. I just need a consistent supply.

I'd prefer rex because I don't need much rabbit meat so I'd like to be able to get some use out of the fur if I butcher later but any to breed and use would be fine. I'm finally raw feeding so it makes sense now to breed my own so I don't have to pay a bunch for rabbit meat(going rate is at least 3 dollars a pound which doesn't sound like much but it adds up) and for access to delicious, home raised food.

Get whatever rabbits are available to you and breed from them. Even dwarf stock if that is all you can get.

That way you get the experience of producing your raw meat, you have your cages in place, and when things go back to a bit of normal, you will be ready for better bred stock.

You also get the fun of breeding NOW instead of waiting. :D

Whereabouts in Ireland are you? <br /><br /> __________ Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:46 pm __________ <br /><br /> I forgot to add, just before the first lock down I bought a doe and her two (6month old) daughters. She was lion/lop and the two sisters were lion/lop/Netherland dwarf.

Crossed them with a ND/lion head buck.

All three produced fine litters of 8, 8, and 6 kits and were doing fantastic jobs of raising them until we had the mystery disaster which killed almost all of them.

But the disaster is not the point of the story, the point is that, had they all lived there would have been roughly 20 fryer rabbits, about every 4 months, to feed my family or, if raw feeding, to feed the dogs.

Even mutt small breed rabbits can do the job and they can/will do it on a large proportion of scraps from the kitchen and garden.

I suggest you get anything you can at this point. You can always upgrade to different stock if you can find them later. Ask local feed suppliers who is buying their rabbit food, they may even be willing to share a name or phone number with you. I found my rabbits talking to the guy who built my cages. Here in Chanada we have to register our selves at the store to buy bulk feed.

Can you dog do a quick kill or do you have to process your rabbits to feed raw? My cats will hunt baby rabbits and kill them in seconds and eat every thing including fur. However they don't bother adult rabbits.
I'm looking to get meat rabbits in Ireland but its really blimmin difficult. The nzw breeder I saw like 3 years ago has disappeared. I'm looking into getting standard rex and it looks like I'm going to have to import some. Anyone in Europe able to help after covid? Any meat breed rabbits or mixes that are regularly bred is fine. I just need a consistent supply.

I'd prefer rex because I don't need much rabbit meat so I'd like to be able to get some use out of the fur if I butcher later but any to breed and use would be fine. I'm finally raw feeding so it makes sense now to breed my own so I don't have to pay a bunch for rabbit meat(going rate is at least 3 dollars a pound which doesn't sound like much but it adds up) and for access to delicious, home raised food.

Hey I’ve got some Newzelands I’m resting for meat. I’m in cork. 0868414706

Latest posts

Back