longhaired cuy

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
Someone posted a bunch of pics of longhaired cuy to the fb cuy raising group. If the pic doesn't work I'll have to download it instead.
10393783_475636092591696_7909176396097328498_n.jpg

My husband says that's how you sweep floors in Peru. :lol:

I'm wondering if guinea pig fur makes anything useful given what all you could harvest off that. American guinea pigs of the mid length hair are usually ready for a trim every 6 months.

Pelt wise I've heard guinea pig are a real pain to skin, and slip easily. If they are greasy I bet that's a factor too. Not that it can't be done, but it's no one's favorite type of skin to tan.

Just the trimmed hair...it looks kinda like human hair... maybe designer wigs could be made :p

So ,-what is the growth rate of these compared to rabbits, -- anyone know? like how many weeks to 4 lbs etc. - I have seen some used for lawn mowers in the south, [and they were constantly "harvested" for meals], but they were not big like these. Those might actually be worth the trouble...

micheals4gardens the huge ones like this must be imported from south America/peru etc. I know for sure one guy in Oregon and one woman in new mexico have paid several thousand to import some foundation stock of meat line "cuy". but even buying stock from them is gonna cost you $200 per animal minimum plus transport costs.
their grow out isn't technically as good as rabbits. they have smaller litters and grow slower with a little less meat. not as popular.

One person has them in IL but only boars available at $150 right now. The people on the west coast say they have shipped them to many states but I'm not sure how many are established and selling them. Sometimes when they have a large number born they'll do special lower prices on pairs and trios shipped.

I'm not entirely certain the exact weight they are using, but they say they are about the same weight as a 4year old american guinea pig at 8weeks. Guinea pigs top out at around 3lbs, some have recently bred them to get 4lbs, with very slow addition of muscle after 6months of faster growth. Cuy do all their growth faster but I've heard rumors they often don't live past 3years. The person in IL could not confirm lifespan yet.

from my research the small amount of info I could find that seemed the most learned on the life span is to expect them to live to only 2-3yrs max and many reported cuy owners said theirs died with no sign of illness in the night around 2-2.5yrs old. my guess is the shorter life expectancy because the meat cuy lines are bred for large herd meat production and you are supposed to phase out breeders to the market at 2yrs so they didn't breed for long life. they bred for size and production. also size and production take their toll so the general life span is shorter.

Latest posts

Back