Longest Gestation Period

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beanchild79

Reaction score
heyy
so i was wondering how long was the longest gestation period you've ever had with a doe? my english doe is at day 33 right now. i guess i'm just impatient XD

Generally anything after day 35 is a bust. I suspect a day 45 would have been the result of a later breeding date (for a whole variety of reasons). at one point I was having what I considered strange delivery dates and discovered friendly neighbourhood kids "helping". There have been numerous reports of breeding through the wire (sometimes from escapees). But in 15 + years of breeding a wide variety of rabbits, they are pretty consistent in having kits at day 31 but It's ranged from day 28-34.

For me, any kits born after day 31 already have some fuzz on them. They also tend to be harder for the doe to kindle and the failure rate is higher even for kits born.

One of my cal does had at day 45
oh whoa that's a long time-

But in 15 + years of breeding a wide variety of rabbits, they are pretty consistent in having kits at day 31 but It's ranged from day 28-34.

For me, any kits born after day 31 already have some fuzz on them. They also tend to be harder for the doe to kindle and the failure rate is higher even for kits born.
okay good to know...this is the third doe i've bred and the other two have always had their babies from the 29th day to the 31st and right away so this just seems really weird. she had a hay moustache a couple days ago and her belly is swollen with lumps so i'm 99% sure she's pregnant. this is her first time too. then again, i have angora rabbits so maybe theres a difference with the breed too

I wish her all the best with a safe delivery! You could present her to a buck WITHOUT letting him breed, sometimes that stimulates labour.

I wish her all the best with a safe delivery! You could present her to a buck WITHOUT letting him breed, sometimes that stimulates labour.
thank you :) ohhh that's a great idea- it took quite a while to get her bred so hopefully bringing her to a buck for a bit won't make her too mad...XD but yeah, thank you for the advice- i'll definitely try it!

Back