Livestock 101- Canadian Heritage Breeds Seminar

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schipperkesue

Reaction score
On Saturday the CHB club hosted a day of learning for people interested in purchasing and managing livestock. It was held in Lacombe, Alberta and ran the whole day. I was on at 10:30 giving my presentation on 'Meat Rabbits'. I was well prepared with lots of visuals and had my cue cards all in order. I had braced myself for negative reactions but I am pleased to say that with the exception of only a few gasps my seminar was very well received. I stayed the whole day and spoke to many interested future rabbit consumers.

I am hoping that the future of people accepting rabbits as a meat producing animal in Alberta is improving...one person at a time!

I'm VERY interested in heritage breed rabbits. Any you can recommend for pasture/grass/fodder raised that are also great for meat and/or fur? I've not seen a lot of info nor have I seen where to buy heritage breeds.

Thanks!
Honey

Honey, have you looked at this rabbit breed comparison chart from the Livestock Conservancy? http://www.livestockconservancy.org/ind ... bbit-chart Maybe that will help you in your research about different breeds. :) Although, I expect that a rabbit's suitability for being raised in a certain way might vary more from breeder to breeder (depending on what characteristics they select for in their herd) than from breed to breed.

Hope that helps! :)

Latest posts

Back