Livers?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MaggieJ":3e0cgnv6 said:
Somewhere I picked up a useful tip about removing the gall bladder. Grip the little white string (real scientific) that joins it to the liver between your finger and thumb and strip it away from the liver. I've never had one burst using this method.

Blinded by science :lol:

Shall give that a try! I hate throwing away ANY of the liver.

I used to cut the gall bladder out. Like you, GBov, I hate to wasting any of the liver, so occasionally I'd cut too close and nick the gall bladder. This way works well. On the first one you might want to remove the main part of the liver before trying it... just in case.

It's probably a sign of the apocalypse, but I'm kind of looking forward to trying it. I don't know how to cook it first, you've had such great suggestions. Of course, I still have a couple of months to wait :(

Must be Good because one breeder on here stated he has a waiting list for rabbit livers at $10 per pound. I never tried them always give all that to the chickens, but I will try it on the next batch. At $10 per pound it sure Must Be Good!

We just made Dirty Rice with the livers, hearts, and kidneys of 9 rabbits! :p

Dice the livers, hearts, and kidneys. You want relatively small pieces, like 1/3" cubed or so, but no need to be exact. Dicing them while they are mostly frozen is easiest.

Slowly brown 2 cups of rice in a couple tablespoons of oil, stirring almost constantly so it doesn't burn.

Add the diced meats, and partially cook them in the rice.

Season to taste -- could be as simple as salt and pepper. I used a mix of garlic and onion powders and paprika and pepper, and Prodhomme's salt-free Cajun seasoning, and salt.

Add 5 cups of water or stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to the barest simmer, and cook with the lid just slightly cocked for 20 minutes. Remove from heat, cover completely, and let sit for 5 minutes.

Bon appetit! :chef:

Truckinguy":39nti40b said:
I think I read somewhere that you should soak the livers in salt water for a bit to get the toxins out. Not sure if that's true or not...
It'll pull the taste out, but the liver doesn't store toxins so much as filter them. While there are probably SOME toxins left in it, it's probably not much different from other organs. But yeah, saltwater will draw out the blood and any junk dissolved in it, improving the taste if not the actual healthiness of the meat.

The liver is the best part of the rabbit.
I fry them. I do not eat chicken livers at all. I either feed them
to my dog or use them as cat fish bait.
I will have to try the heart and kidneys. I usally fed them to the dog.

I rinse the giblets and soak briefly in cold water to cool them. No salt. I don't need extra sodium. Then I drain them well and put them in a covered container in the fridge until the next day. Could cook them right away, but we have found we enjoy them more when it is not a butchering day.

mystang89":30cakdph said:
Is that cooked rice or is the rice still hard when you brown it?
Sorry I didn't see your question, Mystang! :)

This is hard, uncooked rice. You put it in a pot with enough oil to coat it, and you slowly brown it. It adds an extra dimension to the flavor. We do this for jambalaya every time, but not every time for dirty rice. :)

3mina":zk1yoxep said:
Better, not as grainy a texture and a milder taste. If you make a roué when you sauté them they make an awesome gravy

What's your secret? How do you do this?

MaggieJ":1x9tk03y said:
Somewhere I picked up a useful tip about removing the gall bladder. Grip the little white string (real scientific) that joins it to the liver between your finger and thumb and strip it away from the liver. I've never had one burst using this method.

I do it that way, too, but being all thumbs, I put the livers in cold water. It's easier to pinch the "stem" when it's cold.

God bless,
Bonnie OFS
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

mystang89":2kc00xhn said:
3mina":2kc00xhn said:
Better, not as grainy a texture and a milder taste. If you make a roué when you sauté them they make an awesome gravy

What's your secret? How do you do this?
Use a touch extra of whatever fat you're using to sauté. After the livers are done remove from the pan and add a tablespoon or two of the flour you used to dredge the livers in, stir until the flour is cooked should only take a few minutes. Add milk or stock depending which gravy you prefer, I usually go with milk, a bit at a time until the desired thickness is reached.

The livers do wonders for soups and stews.

Pull about a cup of soup or stew out of your pot and put it in a small frying pan.

Throw the livers in there and cook fully.

Throw all of this in a food processor and puree.

Strain this back into your soup/stew and you won't believe how it brings everything together.

It seems to act like an emulsifier and brings the oils and water together into a lovely combined texture like soups the finest chef would make.

There is probably some word for this exact process in french cooking as I have seen this sort of thing in some recipes. I just don't know the terms or exact origin, but it is easy and magical :)

Back