Litter size or kit size

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ek.blair

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Would you prefer to keep a doe that produces high numbers in her litters of average sized kits or a doe that produces a few less kits but has nice milk production so the kits grow bigger faster till weaning? The larger number litter is two days older but a few ounces smaller. These are meat mutts.

Also, would you put up with the Doe that has the bigger kits even if she will come after your hand in her cage when the nest box is in the cage? She hadn't even kindled yet and was getting aggressive on day 28 after I put the nest box in, but was totally fine, and wanting petted the day before!

Somewhere in the middle is the ideal. Most say 8 kits per litter but many will settle for 5 fast growing ones and some want more like 10. I would base it on how many you can butcher or sell at a time, how soon you want to wean, and how soon you want to butcher. A larger litter may have to grow out a few more weeks. Of course there are does who can feed 8-10 just as well as a doe who feeds 4-5 and there are does who can't feed 5. Breed for a trait and you will eventually get it.

Aggressiveness is a personal choice. I know some on here will be removing heads as soon as they get bit by a rabbit. I see a lot of people at shows who have gloves and forearm protectors on just to get their rabbits on the table. If you have a choice for less aggressive stock then it would be a good idea to take it. There's no reason to keep a mean rabbit if there's an equal or better rabbit that isn't. Some less common breeds or colors though you do have to put up with less than desirable traits until you breed it out of them.

Thanks, akane. The two does are "cousins" but other than looks they are pretty different. The one had a litter of 8 the first time and currently has a litter of 10. She is skittish, but not aggressive. The other doe has had a litter of 9 twice now, but produces SO much milk she could probably feed twice that many! :shock: I have been lucky and had 100% survival rate for both of the does litters so far. I really like the one does milk production but I just DON'T like her attitude which is fine from the time her babies are about 4 weeks till she has the next litter. I have contemplated saving a doe out of her that I really like to replace her and raise her more hands on than her mother was...

Personal preference, I want an average of 9-10 per litter with excellent milk production. Blood letters need not apply.
I'm culling two of my does for not meeting these criteria, I'm growing out does from a partially pedigreed doe that is just amazing, large litters that she raises with a never ending milk bar. Her last litter was 16 and the newest one is 11.

For a doe that produces good size litters and lots of milk, I'd be willing to tolerate some grumpiness. I don't think I could do bites, though. I'd be raising replacements.

It sounds like you have already decided! Mean rabbits are no fun to own. :(

I'd try growing out a few of her kits. More than one of you can, because chances are SOMETHING will go wrong with your first choice. :roll:

I am a rabbit breeding novice, so this might not count.

However, should we differentiate between aggression and being a good mother? Good mother would be a good thing, which would include getting a little protective over the nest site? If you cull too heavily for this kind of "aggression" you may end up with does that don't care enough for or about their babies?

My doe is a challenge. She is very easy going when pregnant, a hormonal mess when open, and she would prefer that I don't mess with her nest when the babies are new (I check the babies when she is out for a run). I would not want her any other way, because she is a awesome mom to her babies.

While making hay last year we exposed a nest of Eastern Cottontail babies. The crows were right on them ... babies were screaming ... and here comes Cottontail momma trying to chase the crows away ... boxing the air at them with her front feet! She did this with the tractor and hay tedder just meters away. Now that is a GREAT mother! (BTW, we saved the babies and reared them with the eye dropper ... which got me started with rabbits)

BC Belgians":1dbs319u said:
I am a rabbit breeding novice, so this might not count.

However, should we differentiate between aggression and being a good mother? Good mother would be a good thing, which would include getting a little protective over the nest site? If you cull too heavily for this kind of "aggression" you may end up with does that don't care enough for or about their babies?

My doe is a challenge. She is very easy going when pregnant, a hormonal mess when open, and she would prefer that I don't mess with her nest when the babies are new (I check the babies when she is out for a run). I would not want her any other way, because she is a awesome mom to her babies.

While making hay last year we exposed a nest of Eastern Cottontail babies. The crows were right on them ... babies were screaming ... and here comes Cottontail momma trying to chase the crows away ... boxing the air at them with her front feet! She did this with the tractor and hay tedder just meters away. Now that is a GREAT mother! (BTW, we saved the babies and reared them with the eye dropper ... which got me started with rabbits)

My very best mothers are my most docile rabbits. They are TAME. They know the difference between me and a predator.

Those same does of mine have always had the fewest losses, don't attack their kits to wean them, will adopt older aged kits, and nurse the longest. No tricks are required to get them to accept fosters. I can safely handle their babies from day one, and every day without worrying about the doe harming or rejecting them, or injuring or trampling one in a fit of aggression. I've never once had one abandon their babies all together or make a nest on the wire and they have all been stellar first time mothers. They just do not see human beings as a threat.
( Interestingly, those does are all from one bloodline.)

There is much to be said for breeding domestic traits into domestic animals. It is arguably even a survival trait to help them live with humans looking after them. Nice rabbits are much easier to find homes for, and I suspect less likely to be neglected, culled, or abandoned into the wild.

All that said, Belgians are rare enough, and notorious for having difficult personalities. There is no sense in culling your best rabbits for something like personalty since chances are every other rabbit of that breed you purchase could have the same difficulties.

Those of us who raise more common rabbits, especially meat rabbit, have a bit more luxury to be choosy.

In colony the ones who were a bit protective were good because there were other does and young rabbits around. Even those though only did some grunting and pushing in your way. I usually just set a feed scoop in front of them and checked the nest every day. In cage aggression is useless. They can be perfectly good mothers without it. My 2 best does were the bottom of the pecking order if put in mixed colony. I gave one her own colony with no other large, dominant does and the other I had in cage. Amako couldn't care less if you touched her babies. She raised not only her own but she was my foster doe. I gave her all sorts of kits. One time she had 3 different age groups in her nest and she was just a mini rex. She raised anything I gave her and she was a complete coward about being handled. She would sneak up on you when out and wait to see if you had a horse treat but would run to the back corner of the cage when you checked the box. She did not do well in colony.

I prefer big litters with average size kits, but I do have different reasons.

Netherland Dwarfs have small litters. Usually I get about 4 if lucky, and a few of those are either peanuts or DOAs. So, a larger litter would result in more survivors and thus more show prospects. I can understand wanting a smaller litter with above average weights meat wise, but I can't afford to breed for that. If I did, I wouldn't have any juniors! :lol:

ek.blair":c3riufjk said:
Also, would you put up with the Doe that has the bigger kits even if she will come after your hand in her cage when the nest box is in the cage? She hadn't even kindled yet and was getting aggressive on day 28 after I put the nest box in, but was totally fine, and wanting petted the day before!

I don't tolerate aggressive rabbits. There are too many nice bunny's to keep one that is grumpy.

My Rex are sweet as can be while many breeders complain of their being a difficult breed , out of my 7 breeders the only issue I have is one who doesn't like being picked up, otherwise she begs for pets , just don't pick me up please! She's the grand daughter of MSD's Evil Blue.

There is a HUGE difference between aggressive and protective. Protective is good, aggressive is lunch.
Having said that I have nice common Rex, a rare breed will have different parameters

Back