Lionhead breeding question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bex0286

Reaction score
I bred my 1 year old lionhead for the first time. I have bread some of my other breeds so I had an idea of what to expect. I was slightly concerned with her because she wasn't showing signs other than some cage scratching. Last night I gave her a nest box with some hay and she seemed to be ok with it. This morning my husband found 1 kit on the outside of the box, with its leg broken and dead. The mom had pulled out her fur in the box like normal. We checked the box no other kits. She seems traumatized. What should I do? Is it normal for just 1 kit litters? Should I not breed her again or is this just luck of the draw?

I can't answer for Lion heads in particular. But just in general a year old is a late start, so just getting bred is harder. I know small breeds are known to have small litters so three or four is normal.(I could be underestimating here). If she doesn't have anymore in 24 hours I would re bred her. She should do very well for you. It sounds like she got it mostly right..I give first timers a break as do a lot of members here. I think they do much better the second time out, :)

Small litters are normal for Lionheads. Depends on the doe ~ I have one that usually pops out 6 or 7, but the rest is usually 3-4 kits.
First timers ~ well, it's a learning curve for us and them :)

If she seems traumatized/stressed she may have a stuck kit and/or more to come - Have you palpitated her to see if there are more babies to be born?

Lionheads are what I breed. As with any animal that commonly has multiple young, one kit is hard on does. They grow large because they get all the room, all the goodies from mom etc. Being that she was a year she had a later start. But do not loose heart. I bred a maden doe at three years old. She had one kit in about five pieces first time around. Took FOREVER to get her bred! Next try she had FOUR healthy kits! The thing about breeding older maden does is that they develop fat around their ovaries and fallopian tubes. This makes it harder to get the eggs to the uterine horn to establish pregnancy. If all parts of the delivered kit are present (no chance of a leg etc left inside mom). I would give her a few days and try one more time. Naturally pregnancy helps get rid of extra fat so it will hopefully be easier for her to ovulate propperly. If I where you I may even diet her a little first. Then when you breed her, return her to the buck as many times as possible in two days. Rabbits are induced ovulaters. When the doe is bred hormones are produced that stimulate ovulation. If she gets bred a few times she will be more likely to ovulate a couple eggs that make it to successful fertilization. If she conceives at least two kits she will have an easier birth. Plus the pelvic ligaments tighten with age if not bred. Even though this kit did not live it also may have loosened her ligaments. I hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back