Liming my rabbits grass area/pasture???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squidpop

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
So outside I have my rabbits outside in giant pens, around 15 ft by 25 ft. Its spring in New Zealand and the grass isn't really growing back. Last year the grass did grow back on its own but this year its not so I'm thinking it needs lime maybe?
So my question is if I put down Lime how long do I have to wait to put the rabbits back outside in the pens? Will it be toxic to them?

You want to do a soil test first. Don't know if they sell it at garden centers in your country. My experience with rabbits and bluegrass and tall fescue is that even with one rabbit running free all grass will eventually be destroyed. One problem is rabbits tend to dig and scratch so grass cannot regenerate. I do have some fountain grass which is a little resistant. They leave it alone till all other grasses has been eaten. BTW rabbits can eat almost any vegetation.

Agricultural lime is not as caustic as deodorizing lime so you should be able to put them out after a good rain has seeped it into the soil

I do agree that you should do a soil test first - while rabbit poop is a cold manure their urine is VERY caustic and can burn plants, a soil test will show what the mineral/element composition of the soil is

A test won't tell you if compaction or parasites or environmental name two factors are inhibiting the lawn growth

Latest posts

Back